Gunner Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have roughly $1000 to spend on either a new or used lever gun and don't know where to begin..currently I'm a 1911 shooter and known a savage 99 in 300 savage.. I would prefer something that doesn't kick much more but would take a bear if I go hunting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to stay old school and around a 300 savage type recoil...been looking at model 88 Winchester but also older models but i knownsome calibers of ammunition is extremely rare

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
I have roughly $ 1000 to spend on either a new or used lever gun and don't know where to begin..currently I'm a 1911 shooter and known a savage 99 in 300 savage.. I would prefer something that doesn't kick much more but would take a bear if I go hunting
How big of a Bear? Not alot of options, big bore guns kick!

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
What species of bear? Black or Griz? What kind of country? Open or deep woods? Big difference as to the cartridge needed.

For instance in our north woods, black bear are routinely taken with a 300 Savage, 35 Remington, 308 and such. For black bear, your 300 Savage would be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pennsylvania black bear and 308 or 30 30 is what I'm looking at just need a new gun to change things up

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I bought a Marlin 336C in .35 Rem. in 1984. It is a great shooter.

I've heard of, and had, bad luck with the new Marlin's.

·
Super Moderator
10,885 Posts
The 300 Savage has a little more zip and the .35 Remington will handle heavier bullets. The Leverevolution ammo has changed the equation and if you don't reload the .35 ammo will be much more readily available. Either will handle deer or PA bears. I have owned a Marlin 336 in .35 and never used it much as I hunt with either a .270 or 30/06 in bolt actions. I sold it off and got something else I had to have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts