·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to sever shoulder problems I want to try deer
hunting with the 44 spec. I have 200,240,255 gr cast
bullets.Question is what velocity should I try for..Or
how much more do you think I will get from regular
hand gun loads..Thanks for helping out an old timer..

·
Administrator
11,062 Posts
I think to old Skeeter Skelton load of a 255 gr cast bullet over 7.5 gr of Unique should give you 1,000 fps out of your Henry. I have shot that load out of my 44 mag Ruger Redhawk and it was quite accurate. That load should be more than enough to handle any whitetails or even black bear other than bearzilla as the cast bullets will dig deeply and get to the vitals. With deer you may even get a double lung pass thru for a good blood trail. Good luck.

I can appreciate shoulder issues. In 2015 I had rotator cuff reattachment and hunted with a crossbow that year. Of course I took a buck that dressed out at 195# that year and had to call in the Calvary to get him out of the woods.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
After I had rotator cuff surgery I asked the surgeon if I could hunt (about 6 mo recovery and rehab) and his responce was, what do you shoot? 45/70. Responce, My work will hold together if you can stand the pain. # shot, no "Pain" but did not feel good, thankfully did not see any animals! LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Terry, right on concerning the Skeeter loads. Shot bunches of them in Ruger's and Smith & Wesson's. Do you think there would be a noticeable increased velocity with those same 44 loads shot in a rifle? I use the Keith bullet and substitute #5 when there is no Unique around. If need to carry a gun outside it's an old Model 29 charged up with Skeeter loads.

·
Administrator
11,062 Posts
Terry, right on concerning the Skeeter loads. Shot bunches of them in Ruger's and Smith & Wesson's. Do you think there would be a noticeable increased velocity with those same 44 loads shot in a rifle? I use the Keith bullet and substitute #5 when there is no Unique around. If need to carry a gun outside it's an old Model 29 charged up with Skeeter loads.
The longer BBL would give a little more powder burn so not doubt a higher velocity. In my Redhawk 44 mag the Skeeter loads just cluster around the bull at 25 yards. Old skeeter knew what worked.

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
Please post pic's of your success, that I'm sure you will have. I'm new and just getting around to reading the post/replies from the members here. Smart folks that I intend on paying close attention to.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Smart folks ? Where ?.......:D

• Haha
Reactions: Happy Pappy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts