Gunner Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i am new here and to forums in general. sorry if there is an other thread for this topic. i have a modern 1895g some brass some powder and some bullets .all of which are in short supply these days . i have a few reloading manuals but cant find specific data for the stuff i have. so i am looking for some suggested loads with what i have.
powder - IMR 3031
bullets - speer 350 gr hot-cor ,( jacketed flat point)
brass - starline and winchester
gun - marlin 1895G 45-70

probably not the best combo but its what i have to work with. not looking for plinking loads and not super hot . thanks all

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Welcome! I don't reload the 45/70 and in fact, don't plink with it either. LOL but do love to shoot it. Can't think of a better hunting rifle for the Washington mountain country. I just shoot standard Remington or Leverevolution ammo for deer or varmints and Garrett 405 Hammerheads for Elk and Big Bears that are known to roam the area that I hunt. When I had my Ellensburg ranch my main plinker was my Ruger GSR. I know 308 was over kill but was just plain fun to shoot.

I'm sure someone on here can help you out!

Out of curiosity, where in Washington do you live?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im in the moses lake area . yeah 45 70 aint a plinkin round with what they cost today . the 325 ftx s are all ive ran through it at this point . i would love to take a critter with it, as that has not happened yet. maybe this year , but aint sure if i will get that chance to hunt this year. well yall have a good day, thanks again and cheers !

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Hornaday manual lists 45.2-56.1 gr of 3031 with velocity of 1,400-1,900 fps. If you try the 56 gr let me know how it was cause no way I'm shooting that. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts