Gunner Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I load 454 cases with my 45 Colt dies?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I don't know for sure, but Lee list different die sets for the two calibers.....so I would think that is "No".....

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Yes Yes Yes you can the part numbers for the carbide 3 die set is not the same but the carbide sizing die, powder through, taper crimp,factory crimp dies are all the same numbers, must mark the die sets- one Colt the other Casull

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I can't use one of the dies?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You absolutely can....have loaded many of them with my 45 Colt dies.

I did go to a Redding "profile" crimp die for 454's. My regualr roll crimp die was letting bullets jump crimp. The Redding dies say they are for both BTW.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Bountyhunter said:
So I can't use one of the dies?
You can use the set

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Ok, Danny, I'm confused....are you saying that if you purchase the indivual dies, all 4 for Colt and Cassull will be the same stock #'s (4 different stock #'s for 8 different dies)...but, if you buy the dies as a set, then they have different stock #'s......if so, that doesn't make any sense at all....I've never loaded .45 Colt or .454, so I'm just trying to understand Lee's logic.....Why not just say "This die set works for .45 Colt and .454 Cassull.....

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Wizard said:
Ok, Danny, I'm confused....are you saying that if you purchase the indivual dies, all 4 for Colt and Cassull will be the same stock #'s (4 different stock #'s for 8 different dies)...but, if you buy the dies as a set, then they have different stock #'s......if so, that doesn't make any sense at all....I've never loaded .45 Colt or .454, so I'm just trying to understand Lee's logic.....Why not just say "This die set works for .45 Colt and .454 Cassull.....
Yes that is what I’m saying, took the numbers out of the Lee catalog. I think they mark the sets different, one as 454 Casull and the other 45 Colt.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
the only differance is the lenght BH I use 38 sp dies to load 357 mag just use a spacer for the mags so I don't have to adjust the dies each time.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I had thought, Snuffy, but I wasn't sure. I figured I'd check and maybe it would help me make up my mind about the 454 I'm thinking about getting. :)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
your more than welcome pard. The only thing the 454 dies won't do it crimp a 45 colt. Better to use 45 colt dies just set them higher in the press when ya bell mouth and seat and crimp. I use the Lee factory crimp for just about everything I load. I only need another 30 or 40 to be completely set up lol.

·
Registered
551 Posts
When I was looking, some companies said that their dies were for both, others were caliber specific. I looked and scratched
and just said "urinate upon it" and bought a set that was caliber specific. At least I don't have to fool with spacers and when I screw my dies in all is set, including the shell holder. I like to keep one in each die box.

I have found that the Hornady locking rings are about the best that I've found, and every now and again you'll see them advertised at Midway, MidSouth , Graf's or the like on sale for a fair price. I'm slowly changing all of my RCBS rings for the Hornady.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I use my 45ACP die to load my 45LC's and made a spacer so I need not to adjust my dies and yes your 45ACP or 45LC dies will load your 454 . And the 45ACP taper crimp die works good on 45LC helps improves the feed on lever guns also .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts