Gunner Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally sent My .45 Colt Cyl. to "cylindersmith.com", day before yesterday.

I'm really anxious to get it back, & see if it makes a difference. My Cyl. throats were all unable to accept a .451 bullet. Couldn't even force it through.

Hopefully it will improve accuracy a little at least.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Re: .45 Clot ;

lookin' forward to a follow-up when ya get'er back...........
i have read that this adjustment does amazin' things for accuracy..............

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I reamed my Redhawk cylinders to .452 the other week. Leading shouldn't be much of a problem now.

You're throats were tight for sure. The 451 diameters went threw all my throats just fine. The .452's wouldn't though. Since I want to load lead because it's cheap, I figured I'd go ahead and ream, them.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Should help a bunch. I will be also interested in a follow-up when you get the cylinder back and a chance to run some ammo through it. With reaming to .451 I guess you are mainly shooting jacketed? Ask what they miked the cylinder throats to be before they started. Must have been very tight.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jimbo1096 said:
With reaming to .451 I guess you are mainly shooting jacketed?
No, what I was saying was the .451 would not even insert or push thru the throats, so they were very tight. He will take them to .4525.

You know, what I really don't understand, is the fact that "Ruger has to know this is a problem". I've done a little machinist work in My lifetime, & know for a fact that reamers don't last forever. Why not correct the problem, when maintaining their tooling ?! How tough can it be to change the size of the reamers, by even a couple thousandths of an inch ?? I worked in & was foreman in production shops all my life, & if something was wrong, "even by thousandths of an inch", we were "expected" to take the proper measures to correct it immediately !! We would never knowingly have passed the problem on to the customer, or we would have been fired.
The people at Ruger just do not care perhaps, or have to be a little "dense" to say the very least !!

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Both my vaqueros I just picked up are .446 - .447". That's just stupid. I'm going to ream them to .452" for sure. :?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
41 Magnum said:
jimbo1096 said:
With reaming to .451 I guess you are mainly shooting jacketed?
No, what I was saying was the .451 would not even insert or push thru the throats, so they were very tight. He will take them to .4525.

You know, what I really don't understand, is the fact that "Ruger has to know this is a problem". I've done a little machinist work in My lifetime, & know for a fact that reamers don't last forever. Why not correct the problem, when maintaining their tooling ?! How tough can it be to change the size of the reamers, by even a couple thousandths of an inch ?? I worked in & was foreman in production shops all my life, & if something was wrong, "even by thousandths of an inch", we were "expected" to take the proper measures to correct it immediately !! We would never knowingly have passed the problem on to the customer, or we would have been fired.
The people at Ruger just do not care perhaps, or have to be a little "dense" to say the very least !!
perhaps ruger will not admit to it by makin' the change----afraid that they may get a ton of complaints for service. By keepin it set for jacketed bullets---they can claim they are within spec............over this many years and thousands of guns, they would be imbarressed to fess up to it............

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Mine aren't even set up for jacketed bullets. They're too small for them too. :|

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got Mine back yesterday. Now all I have to do is find time to load a few rounds, & take it to the range. Who even knows when that'll be ?!!?

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Let us know what you think. I really wish Ruger would get this straightened out. :|

·
Super Moderator
10,784 Posts
I don't understand how Ruger can cut them under spec and then say they are all right? A 45 Colt is .451/2. It's almost like they're saying get them reamed to what you want them to be. I be a boil on someones butt at Ruger until I got what I wanted from them. If they played hardball I'd get them done correctly and then put a suit in small claims court for the repairs. I may not win but it would be cheap entertainment for an retired ole phart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts