Gunner Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I orginally made my 308 XP100 for hunting to shoot 100 plus yds and carryed a 44 mag
as a side arm when hunting . And you can get a TC in anything you want . Why a 475 or
500 rev for a hunting gun . I didn't do the math but past 75 yds 45-70 TC or my 308 is
got to be a better choice for hunting and 200 plus yds my 308 will kick butt in all of them.
My and other XP will shoot under a inch at 100 yds all day and all night long and user friendly
A TC in 35 rem or 45-70 are about $2000 cheaper that the high dollar rev . So what is the
lore of these guns

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Judging by the recoil on both the .475 and .500 Linebaugh, iffin your lined up, and touch those off you could end up with one hell of a headache :lol:

·
Registered
739 Posts
If a gun like that is what you want or what you need, Great. But I don't see where it would be a lot of fun to shoot. A friend of mine bought a BFR in 45-70 govt. He says it's good to get a laugh out of someone shooting it for the first time but other than that, it was a waste of his money.
My wrists and ears are too worn out as it is without subjecting them to that kind of torture. I also can't believe some of those films showing people not wearing safety glasses and shooting such a powerful load.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You actually have two ways to go with the .475 Linebaugh, a shooter can leave it as is, or use a .480 Ruger which uses a shorter .475 Linebaugh cartridge.

But your right about application though.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would love to have the ivory handled one, and then I prolly would shoot .480 Ruger loads out of it, instead of full house .475 Linebaugh loads.

All of John Linebaughs creations are done on the Ruger Bisley Frame. If I had the money right now, I would get the Bisley grip conversion for my SBH and just do it. I know when I purchase another Ruger it will be a Bisley grip frame.

John Linebough got some real good things to say about the powder that I am using for my reloads, and not to exceed 21.0 gr of H110 because of increasing beyond the 40,000 psi that the cartridge is max out at. This is where the .45 Colt takes over and runs all over the .44 Magnum leaving it in the dust as you can elevate your loads up to low level .454 Casull loads.

So for the 305-gr WFN GC bullet that I am using 21.0 gr of H110 powder is where I STOP..

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I've never tried H110. I've used Unique in my 45 acp, 45 Colt, and 357 Magnum rounds. I may try some H110 in my 357 and my 45 Colt.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I have put some through a Linebaugh 475 and it always makes me bleed, I’m going to try the
SBH Hunter grip frame with the flare taken off the bottom of the grip. The Bisley grip frame
just don’t do it for me.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
XLCH said:
I have put some through a Linebaugh 475 and it always makes me bleed, I’m going to try the
SBH Hunter grip frame with the flare taken off the bottom of the grip. The Bisley grip frame
just don’t do it for me.
XLCH

That video clip makes that .475 Linebaugh recoil pretty brutal.... I think I would have to wear shooting gloves.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Yes I have to agree, I have been using gloves with the 454 and 480 after I got a good knot on my trigger finger from the Alaskan trigger guards. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.