Gunner Forum banner

9mm pistols

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Johngoboom 
#1 ·
still currently without one..........
there are tons of good buys on the used market everywhere on the net except when it comes to the browning hi-power. :(

So fellers, talking high cap designs, i have been looking seriously at some smith and wesson police trade in 9mm's frome here and there. mainly the smih 5906,and 5903.

really been thinking about the 5903 as she is a light weight model. Anyone got any tales to tell? Also been looking at used beretta 92's as well as few rugers. For personal reasons, i'm avoiding plastic for now---but that could change.

Everyone has a favorite.

I guess a lot of depts are dumping the older smiths and replacing them with the plastic models but still, the vast majority of these guns might be abused on the outside, but shot dang little....

i doubt i will ever carry it but who knows? it will fill a hole in my little collection that needs fillin' ;)
and who knows, with arthuritis probably around the corner, maybe i should have a 9mm waiting in the wings--------while i can still get one before any ban..................

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a Smith model 315. It was a 15 shot. I didn't have any problems with it while I had it. My buddy has the same model and it shoots great. It's a medium sized pistol and could be carried CCW fairly easily I suppose. I never carried mine. Had no permit while I had it. Used but in like new condition I payed $315. Not a bad deal.

#3 ·
i'll be keeping an eye on this thread, i'm interested in a high cap 9mm as well. More for range time than anything.

#8 ·
Johngoboom said:
Just curious Deputy...Have you thought about the P89? Or are you looking for something a little smaller? I love mine.
the 89 probably would make the most sense as the leather is in most cases the same as the p90.
But i'm thinking i might want something a bit smaller, trimmer, and lighter in the 5903.

Just a bit perplexed right now as i probably have too much time to think about it.......... :? :lol: .

#10 ·
KP95DC would be a good one...16 or 18 shots, depending on which mags you get...two extra mags and you'd be well fixed....a bit smaller and lighter than the P90-it'd be a great backup for on duty, too...a truly effective nevergiveup gun....

#11 ·
Hey Deputy,
I've got a 5903 ( Non Tact ) and like it. It's not my favorite range gun, nor do I carry it as it's a little bigger than I like to carry. The S&W's sure do have a nice DA trigger pull though.
When I carry a 9mm, it's a compact S&W 3914. It's only a single stack mag, so not much capacity, but easy to carry.

#12 ·
i'd be interesting in handling the xd 9mm, or the ruger P89. I have thought about the SR9, but i do want to look around a bit. Last week i looked at a taurus version of the Beretta 92. Not sure about the price tag they had on it (489).

#13 ·
The XD's are great. They fit the hand and seem to shoot anything you put thru them. I was looking at a couple of Taurus 9mm's that looked a lot like the XD's. The price was good, but I'm not real familiar with the models. My girlfriend wants the XD subcompact 9mm.

#14 ·
thunderjohn said:
Hey Deputy,
I've got a 5903 ( Non Tact ) and like it. It's not my favorite range gun, nor do I carry it as it's a little bigger than I like to carry. The S&W's sure do have a nice DA trigger pull though.
When I carry a 9mm, it's a compact S&W 3914. It's only a single stack mag, so not much capacity, but easy to carry.
i've thought about the single stack as the sig p6/225 appears to be a bargin at the moment. I can see the advantages of the 3914 or the smith 908 for concealed carry though.

#15 ·
I have never owned a Smith 9mm, but I have owned a 45, and it had the worse dang trigger pull I ever seen on an autoloader. The over-travel was so bad that you could not shoot a decent group with it. It was 100% reliable, however. My P89 has also been 100% reliable, and has a decent trigger. The P95, as mentioned, is a somewhat smaller and lighter version.

#17 ·
I'm with Shawn on the XDs. I also have the .45 ACP Tactical and really like that polymer pistol quite a bit. Future plans include adding XD 9mms in Tactical and subcompact models. I'd also like to recommend the Taurus PT92. They're beautiful, rugged and accurate pistols that won't cost you an arm and a leg to get one. The safety is in the right spot on them too! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.