Gunner Forum banner

9mm Reloads

6K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Machinist 
#1 ·
Yesterday, in the little bit of shooting we did prior to the rain, I had one more thing happen this is odd. My 9mm reloads worked great in my Sig, and worked great in my BIL's Taurus PT908....but, there was a jam in his PT111, and in a new CZ (don't know the model #).....on those loads with problems, the diameter was just too large for the round to fully chamber....never could get one to chamber fully on the CZ....had a couple not chamber on the PT111....(guns were disassembled and we tried placing round in the barrel by hand)....what makes no sense to me is that we took those same rounds that would not fit in the two guns, and fired them through the Sig and the PT908. I will try to get pics of a bulled that represent that batch of reloads....my crimping die may need adjusting, but like I said they workd fin the Sig and the PT908.....any thoughts..... :?:

#3 ·
roll crimp vs taper crimp? oversized bullet not fitting in a tight chamber?
Did the bullet profile 'print' through the case when loaded?

#8 ·
Truth is reloads are an iffy situation in autos. Some pistols like them, some don't. I kind of look at it like mags. in my 1911s some of my autos just like one brand/type of mag others will run great with all of them. In this situation a lot depends on the chamber, some are tighter than others, some are not as smooth as others. I have smoothed/polished the chamber on a couple of my 1911s to get them to chamber rds better. My old "Freight Train" A.O.s chamber when I got it looked like a dirt road after a rain storm, I got some chamber polishing tips for my dremel (they are bullet shaped) & polished the chamber. That pistol will gobble up anything I put in it now. You have to be careful to not remove material as you polish them. A guy I run in to at the range "polished" his feedramp till it shined like a mirror but ruined that gun forever because he removed too much material. The frame of that pistol is now a paper weight. You don't have to polish all the pits or machine marks out, just smooth out the rough/high spots. It makes a big difference. Also don't assume that just because a gun is new that it has a smooth chamber.

The 1911 will always be my 1st love. After I got my Colt I wanted to learn how to work on them. So I hunted the pawn shops for cheap/beat up 1911s that I could use as guinea pigs. I also picked guns that an old gunsmith told me were "Junk stay away from them". I figured if I could make them run then I could keep anything running. I now love those "Junkers" as much as I love my Colt. It's kind of like an old pickup truck, you may have a new shinny pickup but even tho that old beat up pickup gives you problems sometimes you just can't let go of it. :D

#12 ·
FWIW.

Some guns just seem to have tighter chambers than others.

For example, I bought my wife a SIG P239 in 9 mm, and purchased what I needed, including a Wilson Cartridge Gage, to reload 9mm cartridges. I tried every cartridge I loaded in the gage, and if they slipped easily into it and back out again, they worked just fine in the P239.

A few months later, I bought myself a SIG P6. Factory ammo worked just fine, but I suffered a fair number of jams using reloads which would work fine with the P239, and which met my "Wilson Cartridge Gage test." The problem was that the rounds wouldn't chamber completely, and they were stuck in the chamber so firmly that I had to work really hard to rack the slide to extract them.

I tracked the problem down to a seemingly slightly tight chamber on the P6: when I increased the taper crimp just a hair, the reloads slipped into all three chambers — the P239, the Wilson Gage and the P6 — just fine, and the P6 jamming problem went away.

I now field-strip my P6 and use its chamber as my cartridge gage. If a round slips into and out of it with ease, it'll function just fine in either weapon. (It'll also fit into the Wilson Gage, which makes that item, er, a tad superfluous ;) .)

#14 ·
Just an update of my 9mm reloads....one of the guys from our club that has been reloading forever, came over this morning, after hearing about the problem with the CZ not chambering my reloads....the first thing he did was to pull 20 random rounds (from 10 different boxes)....he then took a Speer Gold Dot factory round out of his glock, and put the caliper on it to get the diameter of the loaded case at the bullet end....he then started measuring the 20 of mine that he picked....every single one of them was within .001 of the factory measurement....he then disassembled his glock and sure enough, there was no problem with the reloads fitting into his chamber....he agreed, that the CZ chamber was just too tight....made me feel a lot better..... :D :D :D

#16 ·
The best tool to have on your bench when loading for auto's is a case check gage. They are a little high in cost but you only have to buy them once. If the loaded round doesn't drop in and drop out there is something wrong with the round. Ya can get them from Dillon and Midway Dillon always has them in stock when I have order from them. midway sometimes they have them some times they don't

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.