Gunner Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this afteroon was the big town hoorah thing for the graduatin' seniors. Every year, the Baptist Church hosts a community get-together for the seniors an they get to wear their cap and gowns and we do a bit of sngin' and prayin' and a small pep talk to get them ready for the real graduation cermonies comin' this Friday. My oldest is graduatin' so we were there for her. A total of 46 kids will graduate this year which makes it one of the biggest classes in years. This go around the head speaker was the Lutheran pastor as they rotate out every year takin' turns. The local girl scouts also sang which was nice and lead us in the Plege.

of course afterwards there is the cookie and punch get-together where everyone visits as well and we talk about all the community affairs and so forth.

All in all, a nice day indeed as i did not get clled out and i have tomorrow off so hopefully i can give a fishin report........ :lol:

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Good family time!!! Makin' memories....hope you have fun at yer worm-washin' tomorrow...

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
I agree with Wiz. You must live in a small town. Stay there if you can. Sounds like a dream. Maple Rapids, MI is like that. Everyone knows everyone.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep its a small town..........
no wally-world
no 24hr convience stores and the grocery store closes at 8 pm. gets awful quiet after sundown and we like it that way.........
We do have an actual 7 to 11 store but true to its name it stays open 7 to 11.
Most of the town turns out for the basket ball and football games as there ain't much else to do. Unfortunately about half of the "down town" area is closed up-----but that's about par for most towns in this area. Busiest stores are the barber shop, clothing store(that i done talked about) and flower shop/antique(junk) shop. We have a few other small speciality shops that are hangin' on. My favorite store in town is caled sonny's----its a meat market/convience store/bait shop and the only place in town that sells minnows/worms/bait shrimp--they get the majority of our grocery business amongst other things..........

Our wally-world is over in the next town 17 miles away----and i've heard it said it's the 2nd smallest wally-world in the U.S.---it closes i think at 9 pm every night except for two weeks around Christmas it will stay open 24 hrs but really i don't think they can justify it......

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Did your 7-11 start out as a Pak-a-Sak??? When I first hit La. in '64, that's what they had...when they turned to 7-11, it took some gettin' used to!!! Ours also were 7 till 11........back in the good old days.....

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it started out as a skinnys but they then sold their stores out in this area to the 7-11 corporation. The good news is we got the slushy machine and two more flavors of fountain drinks to choose from!!!!!!

The bad news is rumor has it that 7-11 may close it cause it does not meet their money makin' standards...................there is just so much business in a town this size.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Deputy, how many people in your town?.....we have about 6,000 here, and have 5 convienence stores and 2 grocery stores, and are scheduled for a super wal-mart......6,000 in the city limits, but most, like me, live outside the city limits.....it's less expensive.....

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
population around 2000

main industry in town is the feed mill
air-mate which makes swamp coolers
and john's international which makes contico tool boxes

·
Registered
419 Posts
Love the small towns. We used to live a couple miles outside a town of about 4,000.
You could always cross the street in the middle of the block downtown cause everybody
would stop for you. Finally got a McDonald's. No other major stores though.
Nice slow pace. Stores closed at 6pm except Thursday, then 8pm.
And the school winter program was actually a Christmas Program w/ Christmas Carols.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
That is a small town.....I just found out last week, that our town has the second largest Bio-medical type businesses in the state of Florida. We started growing about 5 years ago, and it has really taken off....traffic (both red lights), is a bear.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I live in a little quiet town just a few minutes from 2 large cities. That's the best of both worlds. Everything I need is a quick ride up or down the road, but it's peaceful here. :)

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Yea, I'm about 8 miles north of Gainesville, which is home of the Univ. of Florida, which has one of the best medical colleges in the nation....I hate going to Gainesville....too many people, too much traffic, and everyone is in such a hurry.....

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
of course there is a down-side as always
not much choice when it comes to shoppin'
not really any competition so prices tend to be a bit higher--includin' gasoline
no movie theatres
and really nothin' for the kids to do at night---but they still more or less behave.....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
So for this city gal, what's a swamp cooler? Is that what you call an air conditioner?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they make these a/c units

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sustenance/6547519/
water pads around the outside with a squirrel cage inside drawin' the air thru the pads and pushin' the air into the house....

while it will keep ya cool, it sure can increase the humidity in the house and rust your guns if ya ain't carefull.... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts