Gunner Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i do hope ruger gets a handle on this sr-9 problem. i have been a loyal customer of ruger for quite a few years. Over time, i've been flush with some, gun poor, trade happy, etc. etc. so i've owned a bunch of rugers before---just not all at the same time.

What has kept me going back to ruger time and again is its an American made product of excellent quality, strength, and durability. Can't really comment about their service dept as i hav'nt had one go bad on me.

But here as late, things are not what they seem.
P345 problems with click-no-bang
lcp's showing abnormal wear
Sr9's with mag release problems, mag problems, peening, and now a recall
dis-continued models
complaints of poor customer service

I have voiced my concern, and most will say its normal in a big business to have recalls, teething problems in new designs, they are in the business to make money, and finally they are treating the customer right. In short, ruger is a large corporation and they are handling the problems like any other corporation in a correct manor. Many are defending ruger for the way they are handling the sr9 problem and as i've said, making comparisons to other corporations and products.

I've been a ruger customer because they were not like everybody else out there---they were a cut above. The quality control apparently use to be better than it is today. They treated the customer right before the gun ever left the factory because it left the factory right to begin with. I swear, at one time i must have thought the ruger repair man was like the maytag repair man---awful lonely with nothing to do. Unfortunately today, it strikes me that ruger must be double shifting in the repair dept and looking for more help to boot.

Is this the result of modernizing? Is ruger no longer a guaranteed excellent product and has now joined the ranks of an average product? I hope not........

I've been following this topic on various boards and the general consensus is "business as ususal" with a large pat on ruger's back for a free mag in the sr9 recall and pride in ruger owning up to the problem. (no dis-respect to anyone reading this). No one seems to be interested or giving a hoot as to how this mess went south to begin with as its "acceptable" introducing a new firearm to have problems.

I for one am seriously interested in the sr9 series. There is a lot to be excited about there with the 17 rd mags, striker fired light dao format, ambi safety system, changable grip system--it dang near sounds like the perfect weapon. And talk about feel good in the hands---its been the best feeling polymer pistol i've ever picked up and held. I really wanted this one but a wise person told me to wait and see what happens to the design during the 1st year----sure glad i did.

I've often heard s&w fanatics de-cry the current poduction of s&w guns and especially the dreaded gun lock on smiths. So rampant to the point that they state they will not buy any current production smith due to the gun lock issue or the "mim" metal issue and will seak out older smiths as they believe they are better quality which, in turn---seems to be driving up the costs of the used smiths.

Is the same thing gonna happen to ruger? Should it happen to ruger?

Or am i over-reacting and too ignorant of the ways to do business this century? I always thought a company should build it reputation on how good their products are-----not how good their recall service protocal/propaganda/repair center is.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I understand what you're saying and know how you feel. Thing of it is, as many have said, it is a business and the bottom dollar is what counts in this day and age. It sucks for us, the buyer, but is great for the stock holders. I haven't owned Rugers long enough to know if the quality is going down or not. I do know that a lot of companies quality will change as the years do. Some for the better. Some for the worse. Some will fluctuate from year to year. The best we can hope for these days is that the company that produced the defective product will stand by it and make it right one way or another. Some companies won't even do that. Amazing but they stay in business. Is returning a brand new gun for repairs a pain? Yes. Should it have to be done? No. But it happens. So I get frustrated, but also have to look at it from a side that is not my own. I'm glad for all the people out there who bought the SR9 that it will be fixed. I hope this doesn't happen to the LCP. But if it does, I'll have to just hope the problem is fixed ASAP. I know this isn't what you really want to hear, deputy, but it's how I feel about the subject. Don't think I don't feel your pain. I do. :|

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i hear ya about today's world and i am also happy that ruger is doing customers right by the sr-9.

i also hear ya that since the Bill Ruger family are no longer major/majority share holders in the company, things have definately changed..........

Some say Bill Ruger was a dinasaur and only built guns he wanted and liked. And many were glad when "fresh blood" came on board and the new designs started coming out. But with these troubles with the new designs, ruger 10/22's going to plastic parts, i'm starting to wonder if its more of a case of blood poisionin' instead of fresh blood.

Seriously, i am starting to believe i may have more faith in 10 year old rugers than in today's production...........

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Nothing is ever going to be the same in life. In some ways that's really sad, in others it's the best thing that can happen.

While we have entered an era where rampant consumerism has led companies to produce cheaper and cheaper goods by cutting quality, we have forgotten what the end result of that pursuit is, "cheap junk".

The boomers were the first group to except crappy disposable products. The greatest generation built products that are still in service today. The boomers were the first to accept "planned obsolescence" from corporate America (Intentionally making an inferior product so the consumer will have to replace it sooner). If anybody doesn't believe me, you have to look no further than that disgrace to Detroit and car crazy Americans everywhere, the K-Car. What a POS that thing was. And the boomers bought them by the millions.

When is the last time you saw a grease zert on ANY engine part. My Aunts 1936 Cadillac has one on the WATER PUMP. I pulled apart an old mixer awhile ago to try and fix it for my neighbor, the problem was the graphite inserts were finally wore down and the motor bearings were starting to wear; and it was only 50 years old!

On the other hand, the boomers have helped cure or prevent one disease after another. Heck, kids don't even get chicken pox’s anymore. They have dealt with a rapidly expanding population, and for the most part, Americans have their basic needs met pretty darn well. For the most part, we are better taken care of than just about any nation on earth. And, they have given Gen X every opportunity to advance itself with new technology and fix problems that didn't have solutions 50+ years ago.

So nope, it's never going to be like it was, is that good or bad? I guess it's both. Ruger is just part of the same.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Deputy125, I agree with your post....and, though the replies are factual...they do nothing to salve the raw spots....as for me, I buy only in the used market---nothing they have new appeals to me, because of locks, no decockers, plastic parts, bad models hitting the market before the bugs were out...and their general shove it down our throats and expect us to like it attitude....not to mention their deaf ears about what I want....plenty of good, solid, used guns out there made the way Bill Ruger wanted them made....and they'll outlast the new ones by two generations...most without repair.....we'll never see the good old days at Ruger again...grab a piece of it when you find one out there....plenty will buy the new stuff...but not this old timer....Johngoboom, I was in the shower the other day and you'll never guess where I found a grease zert.......

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
What is a grease zert?

I love some of the new Rugers. I don't have enough money to get all the new ones that I want. Don't have any first hand knowledge of some of their autos problems, but I have heard the same complaints. However, other than .22's and 1911 .45's I don't much care for autos. They have a bunch of revolvers that make me drool all over the gun counter. I just picked up an accusport bisley that is fast becoming my favorite Ruger revolver. Now if I could come up with the funds to buy several redhawks, several standard bisleys, several of their new vaquero's and a gp-100 I would be set. Well maybe not. I have a bad case of rugeritis.

·
Super Moderator
10,900 Posts
I always called that a grease fitting. Must be showing my age.

I think Rugers revolvers are still quality although the triggers are rough to begin with and I hate doing away with the grips with the wooden inserts. The semi auto's were always reliable and solid but were big and blocky and behind the CC curve. They are attempting to downsize and looks like they came out without adequate testing and frankly are still behind the curve even when they get the bugs worked out of them.

I have two handguns I am looking to purchase but will have to choose one for this year: Ruger Redhawk 4" in 44 Mag or a Springfield XD Compact 45 ACP. I was hot to get an SR9 for awhile but that has definitely gone the way of my P345 dreams. Don't need the headaches.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
IfIhaddalotta $$ I'd get a Springfield XD two-tone...my hands don't fit a compact but that full-size feels like my granddaddy whittled the grip with me in mind!!!!! Someday!!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
LMAO, I think that is called a ZERK!

As far as their customer service, last year I bought 2 brand new semi-autos and registered them with Ruger. At that time they were offering a $20 gift certificate if you registered a new gun with them.
Along with the registrations, I asked a question about recommended products to clean and lubricate the polymer frames and slide-rails.
I got an email answer within 2 weeks as I remember.
I never received the gift so I called in January I reckon, They said they have not gone through the registrations from September yet!
Well I still don’t have them so I reckon I’ll call them again! I have another one to register also, I wonder if they’ll give me three $20 certificates!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts