Gunner Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Settled on a tubular-fed 30-30...Marlin or Henry....know they're not safe with pointed rounds...is Winchester Power-Point considered pointed? I used to use Rem Core-Lokt...they were fat-pointed...don't want any goofs...thanks

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
sheepdog said:
Settled on a tubular-fed 30-30...Marlin or Henry....know they're not safe with pointed rounds...is Winchester Power-Point considered pointed? I used to use Rem Core-Lokt...they were fat-pointed...don't want any goofs...thanks
Many moons ago I used 375 win brass sized to 30-30 and the necks thinned to 30-30 spec , which take the marlin only to the next level and I used 165 Hornary soft point boatail . I only loaded two in gun , one in chamber and one in the tube and I could make it fly between 30-30 and 308 winc spec and a super hard hitter at 200 yds . I still have the brass if anyone interested just pay shipping .

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
sheepdog said:
Any factory loaded 30/30 rounds will be safe to shoot in your levergun.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...Thanks, Tim...been readin' 'bout the tips setting off the rounds in the tube...hair kinda raised up a bit....

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I can understand that. But no way the factory ammo makers would ever chamber the 30/30 with a pointed bullet, as almost all 30/30s are lever actions. I used to have an old Savage (I think it was a Savage) bolt action 30/30 that I used to handload spitzer bullets in. You would not believe how good that thing shot (consistent inch to inch and a half at 100 yards) , but it had an off-set scope mount set up, and I just hated that and sold it or traded it, I don't remember now.

Hornady's leverevolution line uses pointed bullets, but they have a plastic, flexable tip that will not set off the primers in the tube magazine. These bullets are supposed to really pep up the 30/30 round, from what I have read anyway.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I get...more stable and brings the accurate range closer to 200 yards...I only use iron sights and would not likely take that shot....I wish someone would make a .30-30 pump with about a 10-rd clip....dreaming again...

·
Registered
739 Posts
When I first got that 336SS in 30-30 I asked the people at Marlin about that and I was told the same thing, "Any modern 30-30 Win load you can buy today will be safe to fill the magazine tube with and shoot."

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...thanks, Drummer...that settles my mind.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Remington SP's are still 'bout good for any Texas critter....

Didn't know if you recall from years past, but Jeff Cooper wrote that a lever 30-30 was everyman's urban defense rifle....ideally with the ghost ring sight, or so the article went...great for huntin' and protectin' the homestead.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
A 30-30 lever gun is a great little gun. I wouldn't think twice about using it in a self defense situation.

Welcome to the site, Jody. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bountyhunter...

Thanx for th' greetin'!

A really nice gentleman from that early-risin' coffee shop told me about it...been visitin' for a while, looks like a neat site. Recognize some of the folks also! Kinda like the dedication at th' top too!....

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...is that the 4REAL Jody Johnson??????? Welcome, old friend.....looooooooooong time no see!!! You're gonna love it here......

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
jody johnson said:
Bountyhunter...

Thanx for th' greetin'!

A really nice gentleman from that early-risin' coffee shop told me about it...been visitin' for a while, looks like a neat site. Recognize some of the folks also! Kinda like the dedication at th' top too!....
Glad you like it. Hnag around for a while. It only gets better. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sheepdog...

Yup, Amigo, tis I...n' likewise back to ya!!! Glad to find you here!!!!

The "feelin'" seems to be here, that's fer sure. I'm lookin' forward to stickin' around fer awhile...

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...I'm sniffin' round to buy a Henry .30-30...soon...may buy a Marlin (used) first...I'd rather have that than a black rifle...until I can buy an M1A....that round will match my old eyes pretty well...100-150 yards....I may use it in an upcoming autobiographical movie: "Secondhand Sheepdogs"...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Me thinks I might get another 30-30, as it really is all you need in any thick woods ya knowd.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it was hunting I was planning, I'd get a .35 Rem....but .30-30 shells will be easier to find...in times ahead...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts