Gunner Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All;
I have primarily joined this group to find out if anyone else is having issues getting cleared to buy a gun. TWICE in the past 90 days I have been placed on HOLD at a local sporting goods store. I HAVE NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER that should prevent me from buying a gun of any kind. Both times I was given a HOLD. BOTH times I was not denied, but 30 days later I was still not yet cleared! So the background check system just let my request fall dead to the floor without so much as a response of any kind. I am relatively new to buying guns, but I bought property in the country where I can hunt and camp. I have guns that I have been gifted, as well as a couple I bought from priivate sellers, fully legally. I just want to know if anyone else is having this issue?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Been a while since I've bought one, too long really, but uve never had an issue. I do hold my breath waiting for confirmation each time, for fear some government twit punched in some misinformation. All the answers on the form aren't no, at least not the times I've filled them out.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Did you ask the gun dealer if everyone is having this problem? Is he seeing a backlog coming from all background checks? If you are the only one having this problem, ask him what you can do about it. Maybe try a different gun store??

·
Registered
863 Posts
I get delayed every time, but I always get a proceed within a couple of days. NICS has 3 days to process your background check, not counting weekends and holidays. If they haven't responded, the store can sell you the gun, but it's at their discretion. I would find a store that will release the gun without a response after 3 days. Explain your situation, and ask in advance.

From the NICS site: "If the FFL has not received a final determination from the NICS after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must check “no resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all! I am aware of the rule that the seller can release the gun after three business days, but Academy will not do so. They make you wait thirty days and then you can contact the FFL. As I say, they have not given ANY determination at all after 30 days. So it is not that they deny me, they simply have not provided ANY response. The store did tell me that this has happenned to several people. They claim that some have even instituted a lawsuit against the FFL, but I haven't the resources to do so.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The store did tell me that this has happenned to several people. They claim that some have even instituted a lawsuit against the FFL, but I haven't the resources to do so.
I'm assuming you mean sue the FBI/NICS. Academy would be the FFL. Suing the FBI would be pretty pointless, absent the presence of more actionable damage. Like if you were waiting on the gun to defend yourself and got shot while the FBI dragged their feet. I really think your best bet is to find a different store. A couple of places I've bought from (including Cabela's) made a point of telling me "If NICS doesn't respond by XXX date, you can pick up your gun."

·
Super Moderator
10,832 Posts
If Academy is annoying you then take your dollars else where. I have bought one firearm in May and it went without a hitch. NH is really slow in responding as they only have a couple of guys for the whole state and they have other duties that back burner the checks but my purchase went thru without a problem as they all have.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
It sure is handy that Texas is one of the States that doesn't require an NICS check for Carry License holders.
Just fill out the form, pay'em, and leave.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Change gun sellers as yours must be owned by a liberal.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd be curious to know what State that you are trying to buy it in.

It's been a little while, but never had an ounce of trouble here in Virginia.

If I was a quicker printer, I could possibly walk in and out in 20 minutes.

Although I never bought from Academy.

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
Never spent more than 15 minutes from saying I'll take it to walking out the door.
North Carolina requires either a pistol purchase permit or a concealed carry permit. Both have to be processed through the local sheriff's office.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I live in Florida and one of the benefits of having a concealed Weapons permit is no waiting for rifles or handguns. I just show my License, wait a few minutes for the FBI check and I'm on my way.

All you need is a copy of your military DD-214 to qualify. I also took the Gander Mountain CCW course for backup and the latest rules. I received my permit in one week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts