Gunner Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok y'all I need some advice on a topic I'm not too familiar with. Had a friend come over with a .177 smooth bore hatsan PCP for me to look at yesterday. He said he had some accuracy issues with this gun from the day he bought it and wanted to know if I could help, so I said I'd give it a shot and see what I could do.

So I take the barrel off, and I pull a few patches through with a bore snake to clean it up a little. Then I looked at the barrel first to make sure the barrel is straight, and it is. Then I look down the bore and it looks clean and smooth with even surfaces down the length, but I'm seeing some dark rings at regular intervals down the length of the bore. So I push a pellet through with a dowel, to confirm the smoothness of the bore and the pellet exited the bore with deep scratches on the edge of the head and skirt all the way around. Tried another two pellets and got the same results. Keep in bind this is supposed to be a smooth bore barrel. Now this leads me to believe the bore isn't perfectly smooth somewhere along the length of it, and that little roughness is causing an issue with resistance and pellet wear that's possibly affecting accuracy. I'm thinking that polishing/lapping the bore may remove those scratches and resolve the issue.

So this is what I'd like some info on. Anyone here ever try to polish/lappe the bore of a rifle by hand? What does this task entail, what tools, pastes, chemicals would be needed, and are there any significant benefits attributed to polishing/lapping or risks involved in the process. And what products do you recommend.

·
Administrator
11,063 Posts
I would just get some JB Bore paste and use a patch and cleaning jag to smooth out the rough spots. I would think it would be a little undersize to provide good accuracy.

·
Premium Member
Tactical Prius
48 Posts
I've never seen a lapped barrel but I've used a lapper for my scope rings and bolt action

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
You can also use a bore mop on the cleaning rod. I did that with some Flitz polish to smooth some chambers on a High Standard revolver. I used the front half of a two piece rod, chucked into a variable speed electric drill running slowly. It did the trick, smoothed out the extraction problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts