Gunner Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey thanks for the link! They are pretty awesome for a school band!
I’ll never forget the first time I saw Emerson, Lake and Palmer. I sat in complete Awe for a couple hours. When the concert was ovr I remember turning to my lead player sitting next to me and saying “It’s a new game now pal. I think Rock & Roll just got changed.”

You know Carl is touring with his own band and has a young boy named Paul Bielatowicz playing lead, who I hear can play Keith Emerson’s keyboard licks, note for note.
After Greg Lake left King Crimson to start ELP. The Crim broke up for a bit. Then Robert Fripp asked a very good friend of mine, Adrian Belew, to take Lake’s place for vocals and guitar and started the band back up. Adrian was playing with David Bowie and Frank Zappa at the time. He still plays with King Crimson and tours with his own band most of the time too.
Also did you know that when Carl Palmer was about 16 or 17 he played with a strange outfit called “The Crazy World of Arthur Brown” who recorded a very good record called “Fire” and some other wierd stuff?
Well it seems we have Several drummers in our little club here! Cool!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually pretty much only listen to older music. When I was growing up, the old man pretty much only allowed Grand Funk, James Gang, and Deep Purple. I think it was after I got to college that I found out that music production continued post-1978. I was very disappointed with it.

In the immortal words of my father: "If it were up to American Idol, there would be no Ted Nugent. Queers."

That all said, you can spend hours on YouTube watching old videos of good bands. I was watching some Amboy Dukes stuff the other day, funny to see Ted playing that stuff.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Music shaped the country...some good...some bad...it woke up a lot of sleepers during Nam....gave some hope...some condemnation...I think that's what's missing these days...music now doesn't really say anything to the masses...we need a Bob Dylan to make people think......even as a young cop, I knew the music was moving the people and shaping their values...I loved the hippies...love and peace...and live and let live..trouble was, those hippies got married, had kids, had bills, and turned into doctors and lawyers and other thieves...and forgot their values....in the name of getting ahead...enter the Yuppie....oh, to have the hippies back....I don't understand the 80s and 90s music...nor the noise today...with a very few exceptions....a lot of songs sang out loud what the peoples' hearts were whispering...that's what's missing today.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I listen to everything but rap and hip hop. I hate that sheet. :?

I was on Youtube listening to and watching videos by J. Geils. Now that brought back some memories.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I go all the way from Glenn Miller and Bob Wills to the 70s...after that, it's mostly country...Southern Gospel...a few others....no rap of any kind...it's an angry thing....you'll never hear a classic rap station......

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
I don't consider Rap to be music just a tiny brain disease.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
What makes me furious is you feel them approaching 2 blocks away...they pull up beside you and are almost takin' the paint off the car...you hear "F yo b and you're a dead MF"...and you look over to see a 16 year old white chick drivin'...or a wimpy kid who looks like Beaver....tryin' to be "Black and Bad".....I know WE drove our folks' car around and turned the AM up as high as we could without rattling the speakers so the hottie in the next car would think we were cool...windows down even in December...leanin' out the window lookin tough....but we had on the cool stuff...not that hate shit....if they'd played rap when I was a boy, we'd have pulled the broadcast tower over....Sam Cooke would turn over in his grave.....

·
Registered
859 Posts
sheepdog said:
Music shaped the country...some good...some bad...it woke up a lot of sleepers during Nam....gave some hope...some condemnation...I think that's what's missing these days...music now doesn't really say anything to the masses...we need a Bob Dylan to make people think......even as a young cop, I knew the music was moving the people and shaping their values...I loved the hippies...love and peace...and live and let live..trouble was, those hippies got married, had kids, had bills, and turned into doctors and lawyers and other thieves...and forgot their values....in the name of getting ahead...enter the Yuppie....oh, to have the hippies back....I don't understand the 80s and 90s music...nor the noise today...with a very few exceptions....a lot of songs sang out loud what the peoples' hearts were whispering...that's what's missing today.....
.....I knew it!!!!.....sheepdog was at woodstock passin out them spiked dog bonz !!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
....back in the 60's we had one am station that played our type of music.I think it was WLS ...in Chicago Ill.....static and all !!!!!. That was the reason for our excuses for being a little late gettin home......had to hear that ''doo ***'' and ''wipe out''. We would be beatin them desks at school to the point of ''lock down '' back then.Then we had ball practice. Music playin came to a hault !!!!!

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I listened to WLS Chicago on my 5transistor Sony radio.....I listened to WCKY Cincinnatti, O HI O!!!......I heard it fade in and out and whine and squeal...and loved it...I could go back to just radio and screw TV completely...those were the good old days.......

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
I'm with you guys. I love rock and roll. I went to a J. Geils concert and got high just from breathing the air. :lol: Bob Seger is one of the BEST. Had #! seats at one of his Detroit concerts - it was my bday present and I was soooo happy.

I HATE RAP. It is not music. It is a beat. Kids think its cool to blast it. I think it sucks and I now have a gun. :mrgreen:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts