Gunner Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the Duck Commander, and he was going nuts about the Benelli 'Inertia Drive' guns. So I checked them out.

A) $1600 shotgun. I guess if they were sponsoring me, the price would be acceptable.

B) Here is how it works. No gas system. Instead the recoil of the gun drives it into your shoulder hard enough that the now unlocked bolt cycles purely from the act of the gun recoiling into your shoulder. #1, that sounds like it would hurt, an awful lot. #2 how about low-base loads for doves?

Dumb.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me. A 12 gauge hits my shoulder hard enough as is. :?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have shot the older ones like the Remington 11 wasn't bad as I thought was a little strange at first but did ok owned one for a while but another person liked it much more than I did and I liked the money better. Also the Remington #8 and 81 were recoil operated, had the 81 but was able to sell for more than I paid. I wanted the Savage 99 more anyways. But the low base loads for dove with the Mod 11 ya had a fancy single shot.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I had , I will say it again , I had a Benenlli Super 90 Montefeltro that gun kick so bad I couldn't shoot it . I had the gun sold 8 time till they shot it . I took it a gun shop and traded it straight across for Remy 1100 which was like shooting a 22 lr after shooting the Benenlli . I lost alot of money in the trade , but I got a gun I could shoot .

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I had a Ruder mkII kicked worse than a mule and it was a 270 sold it, was glad to see it go too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Stoeger, part of the Benelli group, markets a SG made in Turkey which uses the same short-recoil action as the Benelli M-1 and M-2's, etc., and is more affordable, usually around $500 or so.

These SG's do have a tad more felt recoil than a good gas-operated gun such as the 1100 referred to....but they sure do work!

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
jody johnson said:
These SG's do have a tad more felt recoil than a good gas-operated gun such as the 1100 referred to....but they sure do work!
You said a TAD , I sold my 870 Remy cause the recoil was bothering my shoulder and that Benelli I swear kicked harder and everyone that shot it complained about it also . My 1100 will not shoot everything you put in it like the Benelli will without adjustment or changes .

·
Registered
173 Posts
I no longer own a Benelli either. I found neither twelve nor twenty to be comfortable, particularly if you used 'em for a round of sporting clays.

Interestingly, I've a 1946 vintage Ithaca M37 with a cutts compensator which, due to the gas venting of the compensator cylinder has light "felt" recoil. Have the same on a 1950's vintage 11-48 Remington and it too seems to be a light "kicker!" Both are twelves.

Bein an older fart ( waved bye to 60 a few years back) I'm really uninterested in gettin' booted around by any "hard-kickers" anymore.

Noticed, tho', on the Remington website, that they're pluggin' something called the "super cell" recoil technology and claim that an 870 pump so-equipped will have less felt recoil than certain autos...and identify said autos by make/model. Must be something to it fer Remington to put it in writing for all to see.

Sure would like to try one sometime...particularly on a "short" shotgun...

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
i imagine remington will probably sometime put that T/C stock on some of their shotguns since they are in bed with them.........

This "FlexTech" system may hold some promise.........though it is butt ugly......................
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/proHunterCenterfire.php

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I like the look. I like that short 500 magnum. I wonder what yardages it's good to?

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
It looks to be about the same as if it's fired from a revolver. I don't know that there would be an advantage to the carbine. :?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
from accounts i have read out of h&r handi rifles, they are definately thumpers..........

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
say that shoulder fired 500 s&w I think that is the only way I would shoot one.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I think it would be better than a revolver for sure. :shock:

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...that much power would make a fine double rifle as they've used in Africa for decades...but you'd need a gun-bearer for sure....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts