Gunner Forum banner

Who Makes the Best Bolt Action?

Best Bolt Action

8K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  north country gal 
#1 ·
I am on a roll here. Now, I am sure this one should cause a stir. There are many, many good bolt guns out there. As you may surmise by the other polls, I am a Ruger guy. Including bolt guns. Tell you why. Mauser type extractor, Winchester Model 70 type safety, integral scope mounts that do not shoot loose, and steel scope rings. What say you?

#2 ·
gunman42782 said:
I am on a roll here. Now, I am sure this one should cause a stir. There are many, many good bolt guns out there. As you may surmise by the other polls, I am a Ruger guy. Including bolt guns. Tell you why. Mauser type extractor, Winchester Model 70 type safety, integral scope mounts that do not shoot loose, and steel scope rings. What say you?
+1

#4 ·
i have to say ruger...........

the intergral scope rings, quality blue and some decent wood.............just a good package over-all...........

#5 ·
My thoughts also. I been putting off buying a M77 Mark II .308 from a guy. He wants me to give him $275. Hmmmm, think I may do it. You know help a fellar out. ;)

#7 ·
Nothing wrong with any of them,Ruger does have the best package over all for the money. Sako is why over priced for me. Savage are great tact drivers I have several of them. But for me hands down I like the Remingtons. I also have more Rugers than any other bolt guns I have. Main reason cost and what you get for your buck. I am really interest in the new box mag rifle Ruger has come out with, sure is a sweet looking rifle.

#8 ·
I like them all, but I voted for ruger. I like the safety, the mauser like extractor, and the scope rings. The ruger is a tough rifle that works well for me as a hunter and general outdoorsman. If I get into target shooting competitions (looks fun) I'd probably go for a remington or savage.

#9 ·
For dangerous game the positive feed guns are best . For target and long range shooting Remington push feed has a very fast lock time and the choice of over 95% of the top shooter in the USA using a off the shelf gun .. For deer size game under 200 yds any cheap gun is just find .....

#25 ·
I collect war rifles and most are bolt action but I prefer a lever action as I'm a southpaw. I only have one lever action and I shot it so much I broke it. Currently Henry has it and is repairing it.

Not to go to far off subject but I want a Winchester 94 in 30-30, a 9422 and a 9410. Wish I had picked them up when they were affordable.

I now bring you back to your normal bolt action topic.:D

#14 ·
I'm using a Browning A bolt in 308 WIN. At 200 yrds. it's dead on. (2" pattern with 5 shots - bench shots). I Shot 30 rounds, removing copper between each round for the break-in to 'season' the barrel.

#15 ·
I voted Sako because all that I have handled (I don't own one) the action was like butter. I've never shot one although I do own all the other brands listed and there is nothing wrong with any but that Sako just seemed nicer than even my A-Bolt. My M-77 is the most accurate of those I own but only by a little.

I tried to strike a deal a few years ago on a used Sako in 300 Win Mag and the dealer would not come off $800 so I told him if it was that valuable he better hang on to it.

#16 ·
5 inch spread at 200 yards, I would thinking the Browning could do better than that. But then I don't set a target out at 200 yards, by the time I got back to shoot at the target in might burn up in this heat here in Texas. Terry Your right there about the price of a Sako, lordy they are sure proud of them. I am sure they field dress and cut the game up for you with one shot. They should for that price lol. Ya know I can remember and of course this is a was's back too that a Sako wouldn't bring 130.00 in the early 70's.

#22 ·
My Ruger M77 in 270 Win is ammo sensitive but gives me an honest 3/4" @ 100 with the right load combo. I hunt with it so that works just fine for me as I have killed both Caribou and Whitetail with it and have confidence it will deliver the bullet to where it needs to go. Ironically it is my second most accurate firearm with a Savage M99 lever action made in 1954 shooting to 5/8" with an 87gr bullet and the 33gr of 4064. I still can't figure that one out but it works so I'm happy.

#24 ·
I had to vote other. I don't have a Ruger BA. ( hangs head in shame). I will tell you that they are all good guns, but my best is a Thompson Venture .223 an then comes my Savage 100ATR in .308. Damnit now I have to but a Ruger rifle.:mrgreen: Thanks.

#27 ·
The Mauser type action are strong and make a great for hunting rifle . But the lock time is too slow for most target or match shooter . That why my pick is the Remington action . It wins most of the matches . The round action make it easy chuck up in lathe to work on or bed to stock and make a sleeve for the action . Now I don't how the new Remy are .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.