Gunner Forum banner

Who Makes the Best Bolt Action?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Got one Remington 700 in 22-250, and a 77/44 bolt rifle...like both but my next bolt will be th' Ruger 77/357. I'm just more inclined towards the Rugers if "push comes to shove!"...
My Ruger M77 in 270 Win is ammo sensitive but gives me an honest 3/4" @ 100 with the right load combo. I hunt with it so that works just fine for me as I have killed both Caribou and Whitetail with it and have confidence it will deliver the bullet to where it needs to go. Ironically it is my second most accurate firearm with a Savage M99 lever action made in 1954 shooting to 5/8" with an 87gr bullet and the 33gr of 4064. I still can't figure that one out but it works so I'm happy.

I had to vote other. I don't have a Ruger BA. ( hangs head in shame). I will tell you that they are all good guns, but my best is a Thompson Venture .223 an then comes my Savage 100ATR in .308. Damnit now I have to but a Ruger rifle.:mrgreen: Thanks.

I voted Ruger because I only have one bolt action, a Ruger in 30-06. I have not shot that many other bolt actions, as I prefer lever guns in general, but I sure do like this MK!!
I collect war rifles and most are bolt action but I prefer a lever action as I'm a southpaw. I only have one lever action and I shot it so much I broke it. Currently Henry has it and is repairing it.

Not to go to far off subject but I want a Winchester 94 in 30-30, a 9422 and a 9410. Wish I had picked them up when they were affordable.

I now bring you back to your normal bolt action topic.:D

Mauser...most copied action
The Mauser type action are strong and make a great for hunting rifle . But the lock time is too slow for most target or match shooter . That why my pick is the Remington action . It wins most of the matches . The round action make it easy chuck up in lathe to work on or bed to stock and make a sleeve for the action . Now I don't how the new Remy are .

The XP100 is a 600/660 action with no cut out cut in receiver for mag , which make it super stuff and super target receiver . I was going to sleeve it but it will out shoot or match any target in it weight class now , plus the target I posted matches the world record for 10 shots at 100 yd which is a TN 222 too . I need to put if up for sale .

Remember a benchrest target shooter should never shoot out the center of the target because you lose your aiming point . I hope that make sense . I like to put 10 rds on one target . It take the lucky 3 or 5 shots out that any gun make . 10 rds is not luck it tells you about the load and gun .

On my pistol I try to shoot 25 or more rds at 20 or 25 yds tell about ammo and gun .
Anyone can shoot 20 targets and put 5 rds on each one and shoot 1 target that is great and the other 19 are garbage .

At 15 yds you don't need sights or rifling to shoot a good target

The one lone vote for Winchester you see is mine. I won't argue with TX on the Remington being the choice of most match and competition shooters - have owned several and my first bolt was indeed a 700. You can never go wrong with a 700 or a 7. Won't argue with Ruger and Savage as being the usual good values, either. Can't go wrong with any of these.

I do think you need to put it in context, though, of what you get for your money, currently, as well as define what you mean by, "best". The old pre 64 Model 70, for instance, was never regarded as a super tack driver, but it was the rifle of choice for expedition hunting and dangerous game because of its superb reliability, butter smooth action and total committment to construction quality. It was made in the classic Winchester fashion of that era - machined excellence and a great deal of hand fitting. It's why these old 70s still command a premium price.

That approach, of course, changed in 1964. The Model 70s that followed over the years were up and down as far as quality and Winchester played a bit more with the original design in an attempt to compete with the cheaper to produce Remingtons. Some of the USRAC era Model 70s, though, were excellent.

In 2006, the old New Haven plant was closed and FN, who now owned Winchester, moved production to more modern and up to date plants, worldwide. In the case of the current Model 70, production is in a plant in S. Carolina that is state of the art, producing guns for the government - sniper rifles and machine guns - as well as making the current Model 70.

So, how does the new Model 70 rate with the old? For one, the new 70 is machined perfection to a level that the old 70s could never achieve, thanks to modern technology. The triggers have been upgraded, fully user adjustable and completely free of creep. They break like the proverbial glass rod, fully the equal of some custom guns I've shot. The amazing thing about these 70s is their consistency. Have shot three different guns and each gun was identical in its trigger. Once adjusted, you cannot tell one from the other.

Quality control is heads and shoulders over what you get with other bolt guns currently being produced. I mean this, sincerely. Of the three new 70s I have owned and shot, I have yet to find a single flaw - not a single one - on any of the three rifles. Two friends that shoot these new 70s report the same thing. Compare that to the pig in a poke you are getting with current Ruger and Remingtons, out of the box. Plenty of articles on the net that will support my claim, though, so check it out for yourself.

Accuracy is now a completely different ball game with these new 70s. Winchester guarantees 1 MOA accuracy for three shots using decent factory ammo and so on. This is no bull. All three of my 70s have done this with factory ammo, first time out. My friends report the same with their 70s. Again, consistency of these rifles is amazing. My two friends, all of us with a Model 70 Featherweight in 257, get the same accuracy with the same loads almost down to the same tenth of an inch. That is just plain spooky.

I did sell my 243 Featherweight. Originally, I got the 243 thinking it would provide a bit more performance with lighter bullets than my two 257 Roberts Model 70s. Not so. My two Roberts guns handle lighter 75 grain Vmax bullets with accuracy that rivals a varmint rifle.

In my opinion, you cannot buy a better made rifle than these new 70s unless you go custom.

Did I mention they aren't exactly ugly?

70 Featherweight, 243

70 Featherweight, 257 Roberts, maple edition

70 Super, 257 Roberts

I said the LOCK TIME on the Mauser type actions is too slow for most target or match shooter . I never said anything accuracy . When you shoot over 200 meters offhand at steel silhouette targets out to 500 meter . The lock time is super important as accuracy . My silhouette rifle was a Remy 788 rebarreled with a 20" Douglas . The 788 Remy has one of the fastest lock time and the short barrel cut the barrel time down also , which worked out great on over 200 meters . All my dangerous game rifles were force feed Mauser type action like my 375 HH was a pre-64 Winc type action and shot under a 1" all day if you can stand the pain . If you don't know if you have a force feed bolt gun or not . Load a round in mag , turn the rifle upset down and slowly close bolt if it the round falls out of gun you have a push feed . Sure are some pretty rifles NCG ........

" The Mauser type action are strong and make a great for hunting rifle . But the lock time is too slow for most target or match shooter . That why my pick is the Remington action . It wins most of the matches . The round action make it easy chuck up in lathe to work on or bed to stock and make a sleeve for the action . Now I don't how the new Remy are ."

I think the new Remingtons are just fine as far as performance, but quality control issues have plagued Remington since being acquired by the Cerebrus group in 2007. I know several long time Remington fans who now refuse to buy any new Remington because of this. It's also the same QC issue that has Marlin fans so upset over the now Remington made Marlins. Of course, this also mirrors some of my issues about new Ruger guns, so by contrast, I find the new Winchester QC to be very reassuring.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.