Gunner Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 454 Super Redhawk that has been cut down. I'll post pics later today or tomorrow. I reload 45 Colt and will be shooting loads thru it at least for now. I have 250 grain XTP JHPs and .252" LRNFP bullets. Which would be better to shoot thru it? Can I alternate or will I have a problem with leading if I shoot jacketed bullets?

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I would look in the Hornday book at Ruger only loads for the 250XTP and then look at the Casull loads, you will see that they don’t have any for the 250 in Casull. :lol:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't laugh. :x

I'll be loading to 45 Colt specs because I have 45 Colt brass. I just want to know what the better bullet would be. :?

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
They could both work, some depends on how hard you lead ones are.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they are around 18, but I'm not sure. They work great in my RH and my other Colt 45 guns. I was wondring if shooting jacketed and lead from the same gun would cause me problems?

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
It can at times, in general its not good to shoot jacketed right after shooting lead with out cleaning first, it’s a presser thing and some say they do it all the time to get the lead fouling out???

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well then I'm going to shoot whichever I have on hand. Which is both right now. :)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
XLCH said:
It can at times, in general its not good to shoot jacketed right after shooting lead with out cleaning first, it’s a presser thing and some say they do it all the time to get the lead fouling out???
I use copper plated bullets to get minor leading out of my barrels, but I first look down the bore to be sure it's not real bad. I just go by how well I can still see the groves in the barrel. If the groves start looking full I hand clean them with a nylon brush smaller than the bore (use a .30cal brush for .44 or .45 for example). Then cut a piece of a copper pot scrubber (chore-boy is a popular brand) then wrap it around the brush untill it gets to a diameter that actually looks too big to fit (don't worry it'll fit). The put a good shoot'm up movie in the DVD player & scrub that MF till all the lead is gone. Be sure to keep brush wet with a good solvent (I use Ed's Red).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts