Gunner Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon, I went to one of our local fun stores, looking for a holster for my XD...no such luck, so I decided to look at shotguns, since I was the only customer in the store. Handled a couple of 870 Remingtons....both had barrels around 20 in. One had a flash suppressor on it (which I thought was a good idea, because it could double as a sharp stick, if need be)....the finish on the this one was protective black finish...not deeply blued, but black....price on the gun was $449.....

The 870 Rem is not longer on my short list....it just didn't feel right....felt like I was having to lower my head too much to sight it....I realize that in a SD situation, sighting a shotgun is not something that will happen, it's point and shoot, but it just didn't feel right. Also, the pump action release is in the wrong place...about 1 - 1 1/4 inch too far forward.....and, because I'm used to my Mossberg, the safety is in the wrong place for me....I like it on top and aft on the receiver.....guess the Mossberg just fits me better....so, a model 500 12ga is now on my short list.....

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
That's how it goes Wizard...seems like it's one or the other when it comes to pump action shotguns. For turkey hunting or S.D. I LOVE my 870. But I can't hit a clay target with it to save my life. If it's flying, I'll stick to my Model 12's.

Either way, 870 or 500, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
lots of good choices out there, not a thing wrong with the 500 either.........i just despise plastic stocks on any of them........but i'm obsolete nowadays.............

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I have owned the 870, the Winchester 1200, and the Mossberg 500, not to mention other lesser known brands and models. The ONLY shotgun I currently own is the Mossberg 500, and I have had it probably 15 years now. It has never failed me once, and yes, I would trust my life to it. A big reason I have always owned a Mossberg is the location of the safety. It just is so handy up there on the tang, and much easier for me to flick off and on than the safetys on the Remington or Winchester. Both the Remington and Winchester are fine guns, I am not knocking them. I just prefer the Mossberg. It aint as pretty or as collectable, but it gets the job done.

·
Administrator
12,086 Posts
My 870 is too short for me so I bought a slip on pad that adds a half inch and I can shoot that a lot better with it on. If I'm duck hunting then I don't need it with the heavy clothing. If a shotgun fits then once it's mounted to your shoulder it will shoot where you look. If it doesn't fit you will never shoot it well.

I like the safety set up on the 500 much better than any other pumps I am familar with. It is in a more natural position for the field.

·
Registered
21,944 Posts
I'm looking for another 1200 Winch....have a 1300 and a Mossy 500C------the 870 never has rung my bell...feels low or something...but the Winch 1200 fits me like a glove...the 1300 is smaller in stock and forearm....not quite the same....wouldn't throw one away but I'd sure trade it....seems like we'd better be working on our short lists and buying ammo......but that belongs in the kitchen, don't it!!!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the events of last evening caused me to get off my butt and go to the pawn shop this morning....I got a very slightly used Remington 870 Express Magnum....6 in the tube, 1 in the chamber.....got it for about $100 less than a new Mossberg 590, that would have to be ordered. Went to the back of the field, but 6 #6's in it and fired them....nice group at 7 yds....put 6 00 buck in it...very nice.....I'll have to get used to the locations of the controls.....

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Wizard said:
To be honest, while I was looking it over, one last time this morning, I kept thinking, "John said he loved his 870"....no lie.....will try to get pics tomorrow morning.....
That's the truth Wizard. :D I have NEVER had a problem with an 870. While you'll never turn one into a competition trap gun, you will never have a problem with one not going bang. And if your shoulder is up for the task of TRYING to wear one out, you'll have no problems with finding parts.

There is a reason Remington has sold more 870's than any other gun in their lineup. Load it up with buck shot, screw in a full choke, and you have one nasty surprise.

She ain't pretty, but she wasn't designed for pretty things.

·
Registered
21,944 Posts
...only problem I ever had with an 870 was when the person before me left a chicken legbone in the chamber which was beneath his lap as he sucked his chicken bones dry... I went to the armoror, signed for a new one, and kept it with me for the duration of my days on the force...they never came looking for it...I take a bit different care of my weapon...never used another cruiser shotgun...870 still isn't my favorite...but they are reliable as an old girlfriend!!!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would have preferred the Mossberg 590, but on the Remington, the price was right, and it was here, now. When I shot it this morning, it wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be.....

·
Registered
21,944 Posts
...any other shotgun-even the A-5, I can stand flat-footed and shoot it straight on....the 870 does better stepped way forward with the left foot and at a 45 to my body-butt hugged tight to the center of my shoulder socket...much more comfy that way....

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I like the 870 to hunt. the 500 is set up for home defense, and I use one of my 12s as a trap gun. the 1200 doesn't see a lot of use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.