Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know those bluebird houses, very common shape birdhouse? We have three of them along our fenceline and usually they are occupied annually by sparrows. But hey, sparrows need shelter too, so, whatever. But this year the one closest to the house - visible from our living room window - a beautiful bluebird couple moved in and there is a nest full of babies in there! I have tried to get some pictures to no avail. I don't want to spook them. But it's been really fun to watch, the parents spending A L L D A Y getting worms and grubs and bringing them back and delivering the groceries, then turning around and getting more.

Anyway, it's just been a neat thing to watch. I'll still try to snap a picture. A few years ago we regularly had robins nesting in our carport and I had a mirror on a stick I could hold up there and watch their progress. But to use a birdhouse that we put there, I don't know, call me sappy but it warms my heart.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Them bluebirds are some pretty birds, good luck on the pictures I don’t think they like to pose. :lol:

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I've never seen a live one...never saw a picture..they must be small, though, cause I've heard folks say "May the bluebird of happiness fly up your nose.....".....it'd be neat if you could get us some pics....betcha I ain't the only one who's never.....

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
We have a few famlies living around here too; they are one pretty little bird!

The old neighbor gal has about 8 of the houses on her property, and there are always a few of them filled. We have two, but I only put them up this year, so no takers.

You watch, you'll have blue birds every year now. They come back to the same spot. Just make sure you clean the old nests out every year.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
My aunt and uncle lived away from the city and they had lots of bluebirds. They are beautiful. They line up on the wires above and sit together for awhile. John, I'm in a sub. If I put up a bluebird house up do you think it would be in vain or do you think there's a chance? Orioles are also gorgeous.

·
Administrator
10,959 Posts
I put a house up one year and the red squirrels chewed the hole open wider and took up residence. I have seen Bluebirds and they are a pretty bird. We have Orioles, Cardinals, Finches and Grosbeaks as cheap entertainment.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John, what time of year do you clean out the houses? February/March?

I saw some Orioles recently, they are not a common sighting here, but you sure know it when you've spotted one!!

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I see the occasional Blue bird, but don't have any nesting around here. Just tons of Robins. :roll:

Good luck with the pics. :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's an eye. That's as good as I could do. The parents won't come back to the house with me anywhere within camera shot.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Heck, I'd put 'em in a toilet if I could get 'em to stay here....

·
Administrator
10,959 Posts
Looked up in the woods this afternoon and saw a Scarlett Tanager. Don't see a lot of them around here. Put the bino's on him and go a good look.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Johngoboom said:
Eddie...

Yep just clean out the box once a year in the spring.
Man, you'll answer BH but not me. S'allright . . I don't care . . snub me and my dumb questions - go ahead farmer John who has no eggs! :cry:

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
ANYBODY: How can I get hummingbirds to a feeder? I know we have them but never go near the feeder???

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Natalie...

I'm SO sorry I missed your question. :oops:

It might...My uncle has them up, and he has a pair that shows up every year. They live on a lake and the blue bird houses are RIGHT on the road. So I would think it would work.

Make sure you put them AWAY from thick vegitation, bird feeders and baths. Put them up on a post 4-6' off the ground with the opening facing either North or South.

You might not get any blue birds for a couple of years, but you should get them sooner or later. In in the mean time you can get song sparrows, house finches, or martins. They all will use a blue bird house.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
You can try a different feeder, put in a different location...sometimes that can help. Also, you can try planting flowers that will attract them, plants like coral bell, or dianthis (sp?) work well for that.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Johngoboom said:
Natalie...

I'm SO sorry I missed your question. :oops:

It might...My uncle has them up, and he has a pair that shows up every year. They live on a lake and the blue bird houses are RIGHT on the road. So I would think it would work.

Make sure you put them AWAY from thick vegitation, bird feeders and baths. Put them up on a post 4-6' off the ground with the opening facing either North or South.

You might not get any blue birds for a couple of years, but you should get them sooner or later. In in the mean time you can get song sparrows, house finches, or martins. They all will use a blue bird house.
OK, now I forgive you. :p

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Johngoboom said:
You can try a different feeder, put in a different location...sometimes that can help. Also, you can try planting flowers that will attract them, plants like coral bell, or dianthis (sp?) work well for that.
Kept you busy tonight didn't I? :lol: Guess I'm not going to have hummingbirds. Changed the feeder spot 3X's and have used two different feeders. Have honeysuckle and lots of coral bells and dianthus. I have plenty of rabbits but no hummingbirds. I'm bummed. :x

1 - 20 of 29 Posts