Gunner Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
We have no places around here where we can shoot that far. That looks like fun. :cool:

How many forums do you belong to, JB?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bountyhunter said:
We have no places around here where we can shoot that far. That looks like fun. :cool:

How many forums do you belong to, JB?
Gonna make you laugh because I don't have time for them all any more but I just counted 60 that I am a member of, and of those I moderate 2 and frequent only 6. Now some of these are archery/bowhunting which I stay up on all the time. But the Gun Forums I have several that I frequent quite often because of topics covered.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I just don't have the time. I belong to 5 and do 99% of my posting here.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sheepdog said:
...so we're kinda a high-maintenance kinda bunch???
Sheepdog, I think your the only one that is high maintence around here what with all the flea collers and milk bones we provide. The chew bones are getting up there in price as well, and the next thing ya know we're gonna have to pitch in for your yearly flea dip :lol:

BH I'm going to be deleting over 3/4 of the forum boards that I attend, there are only certain ones that I like to hang my hat in. There are others that I only go there to read new post, and find out about whitetails, elk and other game I hunt. So its a toss up, but I just don't have the time to be in all of them thru the day.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...I don't know who's been doin' the collection and shipping of the aforementioned goodies...but I ain't received not nary one of 'em.... :evil:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Keep checking the mail. :)

I hear you, JB. I post a little on 2 others and don't even remember how to long onto the rest. :|

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have heard alot of good things about the 204, and now you have shown the proof. Wow

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
JB...I'm one of the few who doesn't care for the .204. It's an AWESOME round for sure...but why not just get a .223. It will do everything the .204 will do, and bullets are a heck of a lot cheaper. Plus, you have way more options for brass and a huge abundance of published load data. And the slightly heavier bullet will buck the wind a little better. I've shot some crows with my .223 and v-max bullets...the spray pattern was, lets just say, impressive.

I love my .17 HMR, but that's only because the .22 WMR isn't quite as accurate. If it was, I never would have bought one.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John

I considered the .223 Rem cartridge and still may get a Savage Model 12 BTCSS Thumbhole as my next rifle or the Predator Hunter Package – Brush camo (with AccuTrigger™) . Others have asked me why a Savage when I live in Kimber and Cooper country, but I like the Savage with its accu-trigger and some other features that it has for what I'm looking for in a bolt action rifle.

It unlike the H&R Ultra Varmint Hunter or just plain Handi Rifle is very friendly to mil surp .223 ammo. I used to shoot nothing but Savage, but mine did not have the accutrigger, but did have a bull barrel where I was picking off prairie dogs at 450 yards when I worked as a deputy in centeral Montana. It was my go to rifle if I need to respond to a much needed call such as a barracaded suspect etc.

Mine at the time was set up simalar to this one pictured below, minus the accutrigger.

What ever I get will get the Choate green pistol grip stock as shown above, but just will not be wearing a suppressor.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Johngoboom said:
It's an AWESOME round for sure...but why not just get a .223. It will do everything the .204 will do, and bullets are a heck of a lot cheaper.
Accually the .223 Rem will not do everything the .204 Ruger will do....

Read http://www.6mmbr.com/20Caliber.html#204RUGER

Quote from the above link:
The Velocity Edge--A .204 Ruger drives a 40-grainer 600 fps faster than a .223 Rem can push the typical 22-Caliber 50gr bullet. This higher velocity produces a flatter trajectory. Additionally, grain for grain, 20-Caliber bullets have higher ballistic coefficients than .224 bullets. Combine this with the extra velocity of the 20-Caliber, and you get superior performance in the wind. Run the numbers and you'll see--a 40-grainer shot from a .204 Ruger has less drop AND less wind drift than a 40gr or 50gr bullet fired from a .223 Rem.
And this is why, I chose the .204 Ruger over the .223 Rem cartridge.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Out where you live 600 FPS might make a difference on varmints...but around here 300 yards is probably going to be one of the longest shots you can possibly get (to many hills and trees). At that distance wind doping doesn't really come into play, unless we're having a spring tornado. ;)

And I guarantee that if you hit a critter with a .204 or .223, they would not be available to take a survey as to which on hurt more. TO ME...it's just not worth the way more expensive brass and bullets. YOMV.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is why reloading makes it so much cheaper.

But like you say, YMMV :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts