Gunner Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this happened in my general area, and the lake there is fairly large and has a good draw of folks that go fishin'.

this just goes to show----anywhere, anytime you or an innocent 3rd party can become a victim----even out in the sticks in a rural world.

crap like this is why when i walk i carry, and when i fish i carry---matter of fact when i'm anywhere i carry.

its not always a two-legged threat..........

Dog-attack investigation continues
Seven-year-old killed; no one related to case has been arrested

Monday, May 19, 2008

Around the Big Country 05.21.08

An investigation into the apparent dog-mauling death of a 7-year-old boy near Breckenridge continued Monday, according to Stephens County authorities.

No one has been arrested in the attack that killed Tanner Joshua Monk, who was found dead Sunday afternoon on County Road 415 northwest of Breckenridge near Hubbard Lake, said Stephens County Sheriff Jim Reeves.

Stephens County law enforcement had received no complaints about the two pit bulls who apparently attacked Monk and were later shot by Stephens County sheriff's deputies, Reeves said.

The fatal dog attack is the first in memory for Reeves, a longtime Big Country law enforcement officer, but across the United States, attacks involving pit bulls have led some communities to ban the dogs. Advocates for pit bulls say the dog's breeding is not to blame, but the owners are.

"Who is responsible for these animals? They didn't take the keys off the counter and sneak out," said Karen Delise, director of research for the National Canine Research Council. "Somebody maintains those dogs and failed to humanely control and contain those dogs."

Nationwide, about a dozen fatal dog attacks occur each year, according to the Center for Disease Control, and approximately one-third of the fatal attacks in a 12-year period studied by the American Veterinary Medical Association involved pit bull-type dogs.

Fatal dog attacks usually include a large, muscular dog, such as a Rottweiler or pit bull-type, which, together, accounted for half of the dog-bite related fatalities in the AVMA study. And 80 percent of the attacks studied by the CDC involved children up to 11 years of age.

Monk had been playing with friends, his parents told investigators, and he was walking down the road to continue playing when the dog attack apparently occurred. Just after 4 p.m., a woman driving by saw the boy lying next to the road with the two pit bulls nearby, about 100 yards west of his family's house and about 50 to 70 yards west of the home where the dogs were kept.

The woman stopped to check on Monk, but the dogs became aggressive, Reeves said, and she called 9-1-1. When the deputies arrived, the two dogs became aggressive toward the officers, and they shot the dogs. Monk was declared dead at the scene.

Although there was a fenced-in area at the home where the pit bull dogs were kept, the gate was open on Sunday, Reeves said. Two other pit bulls were seized at the scene and are being housed by the city of Breckenridge animal shelter.

Reeves reported the child's death to the Texas Department of Child Protective Services, which is standard when a child dies, he said. A spokesman for CPS told The Associated Press that the family had no prior history with the agency.

Monk's body was taken to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office in Fort Worth, where an autopsy will be performed. The dogs that were shot by deputies will be tested at Texas A&M University, Reeves said. Findings from the sheriff's office investigation, the autopsy and tests on the animals will be presented to a grand jury, which will decide if criminal charges are filed, Reeves said.

The pit-bull type includes several different breeds of dogs, including the American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier and the American Staffordshire terrier. As the breeds have grown in popularity, the frequency of attacks involving the dogs has increased, Delise said, and pit bulls have amassed a reputation as vicious dogs.

But much of the reputation has grown because of dogs that have been trained by a "segment of the population" that seeks a dog for "negative function." There has been no indication that the dogs involved in Sunday's attack had been abused or trained for violence.

"Everything leading up to that point in time that that dog has experienced is the reason or the motivation for that dog to attack," Delise said. "It doesn't wake up one morning and say, 'I'm a pit bull. I need to attack somebody before I die.'"

Some cities, including Kansas City, Mo. and Denver, Colo., have passed breed-specific bans against pit bulls, but Texas law prohibits municipalities from banning certain breeds of dogs.

Advocates of pit bulls say the dogs are suitable for companionship and for use in animal-assisted therapy, and the dogs that have histories of violence are a product of breeders and owners who wish for a violent dog.

"You're not looking at the symptom, you're looking at the disease," Delise said. "The symptom is the breed of dog created for a negative function. The disease is us."

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I read that yesterday. That's sad. I have a Pitbull Boxer mix and he loves everything and everyone. Those dogs are the product of their environment. :|

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm not bashin' dogs in general here folks.

i'm just tryin' to show self-defense is not always against people.

We have occasional problems with animal attacks. Been a while but even had a rabid bobcat attack a woman in her back yard. Coyotes are a problem, and wild dogs are a definate problem especially when they run in packs and go after livestock.

if ya have a good buddy and acess to an outdoor range, try this sometime-----get an old empty plastic 5 gallon bucket and tie 30 feet of twine to it and conceal it in front of you around a barracade. when your bud is ready, have him standing behind you and have him pull the twine in so the bucket is charging you fast like a dog attack. Talk about an eye opener for the importance of a bit faster draw and point shootin' when that bucket gets so close------not to mention everyone practices shootin' a target at eye level instead of ground level.............and a movin' target is much greater chalenge. The shorter the twine, the more the challenge.

bucket is a good reusable target as ya can just put maskin' tape over the holes.........

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I love dogs more than most...but let a pit bull loose growl, bark, or look crosseyed at anyone and I'm going to blow him out of his toe pads....instantly....if you have that breed....there's no excuse for them running loose....and it ain't the dog's fault....it's the owner's.....chow's the same....those two get no mercy.....they make chains and yards for good reason...use them....diligently....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Long ago we had a German Shepherd who was very protective of our young children. I thought it not a bad thing until the dog bit my son's friend in the face and that child needed plastic surgery. I was pregnant at the time and because I was so upset, I lost the baby a few weeks later. I won't forget and I would be very careful as to what breed of dog I chose to became my pet. It happened so quickly and without warning that a gun - nothing - could have prevented it.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Some is learned/taught...but the pit and the chow have an unusual aggression that's triggered by strange behavior...my method is when I see any dog loose, I drop to my knees and speak/beckon to them in a friendly manner...if they were to charge...I'd be closer to protecting my face and drawing at the same time....I feel that MOST dogs who bite have been abused or tormented....people and especially children are mean....most dogs will respond to quiet tender talk and warm up to you pretty fast...once they know you're not afraid and not mean....I look at dogs as a gift from God....loyal friends and FAITHFUL companions....most people could take a lesson......

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Great post deputy 125, that is some good training there with a bucket and having it pulled toward ya. Another thing to try is run as fast as ya can in place jump down and pick up your rifle and shoot as fast as ya can on a traget say about 25 yards away and see when ya hit.
Of course if there is anyone at the range when your trying this out they are going to think you having fits. But this the only way I know to attemp to cure buck fever. Ofcourse ya have remember not to run in place while in the deer stand else your going to get to make a trip for sure to the nut house.
I am not sure if the glazer safety rounds I carry would stop a pit type dog. Sure don't want to try it either unless I have too. Well hell I can always run in place maybe it will scare the crap out of the dogs like it did the folks at the range that time. They sure didn't take long to leave either.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
If I thought the rounds I carry wouldn't work...one thing's for sure...ain't no dog gonna bite sumpin' like I'm gonna be smellin'....maybe a few green flies......if they're REAL hungry.....

·
Registered
859 Posts
you never know what is goin on in the brain of a brute animal. dont ever take it for granted. my grandson and i drove up to my neighbors home one afternoon and stepped out of the truck to find a rottweiller comin at him. if i had not got him back in the truck in time....who knows what would have happened. I was used to the dog and he knew who I was. He had never seen my grandson though. The dog had allways been great around kids ...before he started gettin on up in years. WHATCH THEM OLD DOGS !!!!!! Sho nuff the ones that can chomp.....instead of nip.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Your fine sheepdog haven't heard of anyone getting gummed to death yet lol

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I stepped in that one barefoot while it was still a'steamin'!!!!!! :oops:

·
Super Moderator
10,900 Posts
I walk 4 miles every day and carry pepper spray and my NAA 22 Mag. I have used pepper spray many times over the years. I have found that most problem dogs are owned by those that feel their dog wouldn't hurt anyone. When I was younger I used to run and had a bimbo tell me he won't bite while he had a hold of my hand.

Last year I had a dog charge me hard from the other side of the street and he had his head down and was completely focused on my ankle/leg. At three feet I hit him in the head with the pepper spray and he turned left and then lunged back at me so I hit him again. the owner was outside and started hollering at me because I sprayed him. He said a classic line "You didn't wait to see what he was going to do". We had a somewhat heated discussion and I completed my walk and went down and filed a complaint with the local police. I have no doubt that the dog would have bitten me just by the way it came at me. That dumb SOB would have rather gotten sued I guess . He wound up putting in a invisible fence. After 30 years of running/walking I have no tolerance for anyones mutt that comes after me.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I had something like this happen to me several years ago..... in the end someones pet, but away from home a visious dog that ended up taking a dirt nap after being shot with a .35 Remington.

I am not a chew bone for anyones dog.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Snuffy said:
Your fine sheepdog haven't heard of anyone getting gummed to death yet lol
+1... Right on Snuffy!!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Thanks ya'll I do have my moments lol. Sure glad your a good sport sheepdog. ya know I had to do it it was there for the taking lol.

·
Registered
859 Posts
sheepdog said:
I stepped in that one barefoot while it was still a'steamin'!!!!!! :oops:
.......yeah you did ole pal...snuffy gotcha good lol. But that means that you are hot on the trail....not far behind !!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts