Gunner Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm brand new to the gun world. After doing some research, shooting a bunch of different guns I purchased the Ruger LCP 2. I feel like since then I've come across a lot of people hating in it but it was the one I felt most comfortable with. Plus I have child size hands and I'm a relatively small person so I am happy with my decision. Everything I know about guns is what I've been researching online and what I have learned from talking to people. With that being said I'm just looking for your best advice/knowledge about practicing and just being comfortable and confident with it. I've had it for about a week now and I find it very intimidating. Any and all advice to a first time gun owner is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
Welcome!

First thing to do is sign up for some lessons. Learn all of the safety protocols, and proper gun handling. And then practice!

And good luck finding ammo.
Agree 100%. Start with learning safe handling practices so you can operate and carry safely. Congrats on the LCP and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
You got yourself off to a good start, doing research and trying several guns before deciding. Many people just look at what the gun shop has, and buy one on the spot. Or they flip through a gun magazine and pick one from a review. Many gun magazine writers are given free guns or cash by gun makers wanting their gun to be reviewed like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Get yourself into good gun handling safety, and stay patient. Nobody hits bulls-eyes right away, and it's still fun laughing at yourself over your early misses.....:oops:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'm super excited to be taking this step. I'm a small woman who spends a lot of time alone and traveling with my little pup and in this crazy world.. that seems to be getting crazier it seemed like the smart thing to do. A few questions..

I've been told to find ammo and buy it when I see it bc it's hard to find. 1. what is the average price per bullet? I don't want to be a moron paying a ridiculously high unnecessary price. 2. There are sooo many different kinds! Out of knowing I have a 380.. is there anything important to know or brands I should stay away from? Also it seems kind of crazy to find scarce expensive ammo and shoot it if I have no idea what I'm really doing. I've read about snap caps (I think that's what they were called) and like some sort of dummy or training bullet. I'm kind of confused on those.. any insight or recommendations? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
The snap caps are for dry firing however the LCP 2 can be dry fired as long as you have the magazine in the firearm. First make sure the magazine is unloaded and the chamber is also unloaded. Double check before you pull the trigger.

To keep from getting ripped off on ammo look at some of the larger retailers in your area. If there is a Cabelas or Bass Pro or you could order on line:
Handgun Ammunition - Pistol & Revolver Ammo | Cabela's

It won't be cheap there but it won't be a rip off either. As for brands you figure that out by shooting the pistol. The LCP can be finnicky at first so start with a FMJ brand and put a couple hundred rounds thru it before trying a JHP.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
First time gun owners should take the concealed carry class.
A new owner has no idea of what the legalities are in ones state.
Gun ownership carries a great deal of responsibility.
After 20+ years of having a CC permit I recently sat in on a new class.
I was not aware of the changes in the CC permit and the laws.
Best be informed rather than in the jail.

·
Super Moderator
4,291 Posts
Welcome aboard Mosha. You are certainly on the right track by asking questions. You have gotten some great advice from our members. Nothing for me add except thanks for joining our humble group.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts