·
Registered
6,150 Posts
not me............

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Me neither.

Caught me off guard. We don't usually talk about guns around here.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Bountyhunter said:
Me neither.

Caught me off guard. We don't usually talk about guns around here.
we do when they have lanyard loops........ ;)

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Not familiar with the short track, but I've known folks, over the years, who hunted with the BAR. They're not bench rest accurate, but they'll do well enough to take Bambi out and they always seem to go bang at the right time.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm lookin' at an alternative to the M1A Springfield. The 308 cartridge isn't really compatible with the M1A, due to the slam fire problem in the M1A with most 308 factory loads.

My bolt rifle is great, but, a semi auto gives a reasonable second shot without throwing the bolt for the second shot. The Browning is limited to the 4 + 1 round count. (5 rounds of 308 for zombie work is probably enough.)

Having a light weight receiver provides a 7 1/2 # rifle instead of a 9# +M1a. I've found an Eo Tech used for $240 and the new Browning below wholesale.

Just thinkn'.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I suppose with softer primers in civilian ammunition, it'd be possible. Somehow, though, I don't think I'll trade a pound and half, a twenty round magazine and the chance of a slam fire for five rounds of Browning. Just me I guess.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...OK, found this...just nebber heered of it personally...'s'posed to be from the owner's manual...

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armor ... ype=rifles
page 4 list number 3

"The M1A is designed and built to specifications to shoot standard factory military 7.62 NATO ammunition. The
specifications for standard military ammunition include harder primers to withstand the slight indentation from the
firing pin when the bolt chambers a cartridge. This slight indentation is normal. The use of civilian ammunition
with more sensitive primers or handloads with commercial primers and/or improperly seated primers increase the
risk of primer detonation when the bolt slams forward. This unexpected "slam fire" can occur even if the trigger
is not being pulled and if the safety is on. Use of military specification

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Kim.... That was the perspective I was looking for.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I'm with, Kim on this.

I called Springfield twice when I had my M1A and asked if the civilian 308 was ok to fire, and was told yes. Any ammo marked 308 or 7.62 was fine. The chances of a slam fire were very slim in either. Then I emailed and asked one more time and was told the same thing. :lol:

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...I haven't heard of it before this...still wanna be the proud owner someday...

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Having gotten an M1A and a SOCM new, they both came with paper work talking about slam fire. From what I remember they were talking a lot about headspacing and having a good head space gage when reloading. Both came with the headspace measurement that the factory used. There is a ton of info out there on this, some good and some not so good

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
At this time I’m shooting lots of Winchester 147 GR. 7.62 FMJ and very few Federal Gold Medal 168GR. Sierra Matchking BTHP.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
A slamfire with any gun that has a floating fireing pin is always a possibility. It would have to have a very soft primer. Have always heard Federals are the softest primers. I have had zero problems with slam fires in my AR using Federal primers. I have never seen a slamfire with a M1A either. Not saying it can't happen, just saying as long as proper safety procedures are followed (fun pointed in safe direction while loading it), nothing bad will happen.

Have you considered the new Ruger Gunsite bolt gun in .308?

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...loadin' yer own or factory???? there IS a difference between .308 Win and 7.62 military, isn't there? in the brass, I mean(headspace, primer, etc)

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
sheepdog said:
...loadin' yer own or factory???? there IS a difference between .308 Win and 7.62 military, isn't there? in the brass, I mean(headspace, primer, etc)
The only difference that I am aware of is that the military brass is usually thicker, and you may have to reduce your loads accordingly.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts