Gunner Forum banner

Bug to buy a Ruger

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Terry_P 
#1 ·
Don't know why, but I have got the bug to buy a Ruger 17 HMR, 22" barrel. It was suggested to me to consider their 22 Mag instead. I just find the 17 to be much more sexy.
Your thoughts please.

#2 · (Edited)
Why the 22 mag? What's your intended use? I'd give the 22 mag the nod for use on hunting larger animals, maybe, but everything else favors the 17 HMR.

My experience with both cartridges in our CZs is that the 17 HMR holds the edge in the accuracy department, not just over the 22 mag, but also the 22 LR. Just about any17 HMR load will giver good accuracy and next to nothing needed in holdover at to 100 yards. Day in, day out, our 17s outshoot the 22 mags and even the 22 LRs. 17 HMR ammo is much easier to find and definitely cheaper than any 22 mag.

The 22 mags will shoot very well in our CZs, but it takes just the right load, usually the 30 grain varmint stuff and these can be a real challenge to find. Other 22 mag loads will usually shoot under the 22 LR in the accuracy department, so number three behind 17 HMR, 22 LR as a whole. Any 22 mag load is hard to find and always more expensive than 17 HMR.

#4 ·
I never have trouble finding .17HMR. I was in the same boat a few years back, going to get 1 or the other & through that last rimfire crisis/shortage, .17HMR was available.
I recently just purchased some for $10 a box.

I ended up with a Savage (model 93) with the Accu-Trigger & am very pleased with it.

I got the same advice from NCG you did & I'm glad I listened.:-D

#6 ·
I am rooted in 22Mag, only because I already have two and enjoy them very much. When the .17 came out I gave it alot of study, and decided not to buy a .17 because I do shoot critters and did not see the need for both guns. If I were to start today without either caliber, I probably would lean more to the .17HMR. That being said, my favorite .22Mag round is Winchester Supreme JHP 34 grain.
(S22WM)....hard to find these days. Fortunately, I have a few put away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.