Gunner Forum banner

Building my own cleaning kit

19K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  gunjunkie 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Rather than buying a gun cleaning kit I think I should build my own and another forum member suggested. So my question is what should I purchase to clean a S&W M&P .22 Semi-Auto, a Remington 870, a Savage Mark II F and maybe...maybe if I can swing it a .38 revolver?

#2 ·
I would start out with a tool box to keep everything in. Over the years I've collected a lot of cleaning kits and firearm specific tools and keep everything together. Some kits are general to firearms and some are specific to a firearm. I don't own any of the firearms you mentioned so will pass on recommending anything other than the tool box.

My tool kit has the AR15 wrench, M14 wrench and stuff like that.

#3 ·
For handguns a standard rod will work for all of them as long as it fits the .22. You just get tips to fit the other calibers you may add. Standard rods have 8-32 female threads and this is standard for tips. The loop may work for both so you will just need to add a jag and brushes for other calibers. The nicest rods have swivel handles and are made of steel, brass, or carbon fiber. I mostly use simple aluminum rods with simple loop handles as I have many of them and I like to keep different tips in them so they are ready to go. Some people don't like aluminum as it can be abrasive but I am careful and if I am going to be using one a lot I made some muzzle protectors from plastic.

For the rifle I would suggest a good rod, not aluminum. If it will be used with a bolt action make sure it is long enough to do through the action and barrel completely. Others will probably have better advice about long guns. I like to have extra tips on hand and I try to buy packs of brushes to get a good price and make sure they are on hand. Brushes do wear out.

#4 ·
On the subject of tools I would just say that if you are going to do much of anything that requires tools you should get proper screw drivers that are parallel or hollow ground. Hardware store screwdrivers, even good ones, will damage your gun screws, reduce the guns value, and reflect badly on you. I am a retired machinist and had an insane amount of hand tools but I still had special gunsmith screwdriver sets that were used for nothing else. I still have them. I don't do anything beyond changing grips without them and I mostly use them for that where called for.

I get my cleaning tools and supplies from local stores or online from Midway. I look for sales on things like brushes and patches and buy them for future use. You can save a lot that way and you have them on hand.

#5 ·
Hey Mac do you use snakes? I have a few and use them more than rods. Some of my military rifles have rods that screw into the rifle and aren't the 8/32 female so I need a lot of dedicated brushes.

I also have Breakfree and use it a lot. I use an old horsehair paintbrush and it gets into tight places. Compressed air also is good for cleaning but make sure you don't send the parts flying into the next county. Depending on your climate you may or may not want to leave a lot of oil and grease on your firearm.

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
Welcome to our forum. Don't know where to start with a reply. Can't really give every advantage but will mention a few and let others chime in.

I guess the best advantage of a cleaning kit other than its major function is it in fact a kit or assembly of tools and cleaning solutions in one place. Often it will include tools for making repairs or gunsmithing and most will have tools specific to firearms. Even screwdrivers made for firearms is differant than the one in the garage made for you automoble.

So its one place to go to find what you need.

#22 ·
I'll get a picture later. I have a plastic tool box for my home made cleaning kit. I have all my oil's and cleaners, bore snakes, towels, rods, in the bottom of the box and my swabs, brushes,bore light and tools in the top tray.
I have a bag in the garage of that stuff I bought that never worked the way it said. I have 2 different 22 cal bore snake that not even Superman himself could get down any 22 barrel. On another forum some guy asked me if I was sure I had a 22 well after 3000 round threw it I'm pretty sure. This guy gave me crap about the snake. I wish you could try it before you buy it. So much cheap crap comes from China now days. I just saw on the news last night about dog treats from China killing over 800 dogs in the USA nothing will be done until it's 800 people.

This post has been deleted
#40 ·
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.