Gunner Forum banner

Caliber and gun type

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

· Registered
21,944 Posts
..or maybe he is an old fart and hasn't been able to stay awake for a movie's finish since "Second-Hand Lions"....you young sprouts have a lot to look forward to......

· Registered
41 Posts
I picked a semi auto and 45 ACP, the reason, that is what I carry most of the time. I wouldn't hesitate to take my model 627 Taurus (Titanium) revolver, 4" ported barrel. It matches well with a Marlin 357 lever gun I usually have close by. I have operated an alarm company for 31 years, so I have CCTV and motion detectors around the outdoor perimeter of my home and yard. Not likely I will be caught unaware during the hours of darkness. Located under a book case near my recliner is a Remington semi auto shotgun ( with double ought buck) and a Marlin 444. I own 9 sets of Crimson Trace laser grips on various guns found inside my home. A large stock of ammo is stored in two different places, and can be picked up and moved rather easily. I hardly ever travel in California where a firearm must be locked in a container, in Oregon I can have what ever firearm I want, where ever I want in my vehicle. I have a CC license, so carrying concealed is no problem.

NR

· Registered
1,292 Posts
My choice would be the 4" GP along with an ammo can full of 158 SWC's I keep on hand. Just looked and have to restock that can since we shot up a bunch of em a couple of weeks ago out in the desert.

· Registered
877 Posts
I voted for the.357/.38, powerful enough, & still controlable. Ammo availability most anywhere, as was stated, even if it required a little night shopping.

Revolver, because of near 100% reliability. I have reliability issues with semi's, & revolvers go bang 99.99% of the time !!.

· Registered
4,131 Posts
I choose 45 acp semi auto its all I will needded until I meet my resupply point. Whom ever that turns out to be what they have I can use, I am not picking and I know how to use Kentucky windage.

· Registered
41 Posts
Gee, I may have to change my mind from the 1911 I mentioned earlier. I just got a Taurus Judge Ultra Lite. It shoots 410 shot shells and 45 Colt catridges. But it only holds five rounds, so the 1911 is still a better choice. This Judge is sure something else to shoot, though. Accuracy wasn't too bad with the 45 Colt cartridges, but the 410 shotshells spread out quite a bit beyond 25 yards. I sure wouldn't want someone shootin' at me with one of these things though...
Up close, if you were shot with the 410, you'd have one hell of a hole in ya.

NR

· Registered
21,944 Posts
Nite Ryder...both will make your point nicely...good choices...I'd use the buckshot .410 load myself...hits a lot harder than any shot load...and I'd stick to the 1911 for primary, too...nothing like a proven winner....

Snuffer....windage and elevation...windage and elevation......you're right...I'll pick up a BP single shot if that's what they drop....

· Administrator
12,144 Posts
Nite Ryder said:
I picked a semi auto and 45 ACP, the reason, that is what I carry most of the time. I wouldn't hesitate to take my model 627 Taurus (Titanium) revolver, 4" ported barrel. It matches well with a Marlin 357 lever gun I usually have close by. I have operated an alarm company for 31 years, so I have CCTV and motion detectors around the outdoor perimeter of my home and yard. Not likely I will be caught unaware during the hours of darkness. Located under a book case near my recliner is a Remington semi auto shotgun ( with double ought buck) and a Marlin 444. I own 9 sets of Crimson Trace laser grips on various guns found inside my home. A large stock of ammo is stored in two different places, and can be picked up and moved rather easily. I hardly ever travel in California where a firearm must be locked in a container, in Oregon I can have what ever firearm I want, where ever I want in my vehicle. I have a CC license, so carrying concealed is no problem.

NR
You'll fit in well around here.

· Registered
3,924 Posts
My Taurus PT92 due to magazine capacity, how well it fits my hand and accuracy. However, with handgun in tow, I'd be attempting to find a suitable longarm to liberate from the oppressors. :mrgreen:

· Registered
859 Posts
A good sling shot would be my backup when the ammo runs out....but when the ammo runs out....have a good knife to slice the remains up to feed the loyal pack of K-9's that stayed with you. That would be a dire situation....but a good dog is a man's best friend.

· Premium Member
8,970 Posts
A good revolver in .357 would be very versatile but I guess it would be hard to argue against a good .45 auto. I would REALLY hope that I could also grab a .22 revolver for survival purposes as well. A little J frame Mod 63 is small, light, and accurate. Lots of ammo for little weight and space. Relatively covert. Next to a good knife, a good .22 would be top line in my survival list.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.