Gunner Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the little stoves that use gas cylinder thingys that fit underneath the stove? (like jet boil) I don't know if a company makes one that uses the small propane tanks like the kind you use on a torch?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Those "cylinder thingys" are propane cylinders. There's short ones that some stoves require, they go under the stove like you said. Some stoves have a hose that you can connect to a regular hardware store size cylinder, or a short one. Some simple stoves just screw onto the top of a cylinder, but using the bigger one is top heavy and you might tip over your dinner.
You can always study up online.....:)..... There are a zillion designs

This Coleman stove has a base to make it steadier with a taller cylinder :
Liquid Drinkware Fluid Cylinder Kitchen appliance

Or real simple short one :
Liquid Fluid Gas Font Medical equipment

This is a Whisperlight, folds up, and can use four different kinds of fuel !
Automotive lighting Home appliance Gas Cylinder Font

Jetboil MightyMo :
Liquid Fluid Font Gas Metal

Reactions: Sightngrl

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
Yes, lots! For survival purposes I would go with the MSR or Coleman Peak, the propane stoves are great in warm and Fall conditions but not very good in cold weather. Coleman has what they call the Peak backpack stove that runs on dual fuels, Coleman/White Gas or Unleaded Gas, great for all season emergency use' MSR, Mountain Safety Research is a division of REI and they highly test their products here in the mountains, especially at Mt Rainier for
expedition use.
My son and I have used all of those pictured as well as as the ones I have mentioned, the new Jetbiol is much more stable than the older versions but for ease of use I would try to find a Peak.

Liquid Kitchen appliance Fluid Home appliance Gas

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
The only serious stove I've owned was a pre- dual fuel Peak, white gas only. I thought she just wanted propane.

I've also had a couple of alcohol stoves, but they are slow and use more fuel.

For many years the most popular stove was the Swedish Svea. Dates back to the 1890s. Burns white gas or kerosene. Then it started being made in Taiwan, and the tiny stoves got more popular. You can still buy a Taiwanese Svea. (The top cover is also a pot)
Tableware Font Gas Cylinder Liquid

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys so much for the stove ideas! Yes I'm leaning toward a propane stove because the canisters can be refilled from a larger tank, therefore lower fuel costs and availability. The dual fuel ability is great, I didn't know that existed.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Your topic says Suvival (you missed the r ....) Stove. Were you wanting a small one that's easy to tote around, or does that matter? There are propane stoves that look like a metal briefcase with two burners. The cylinder is outside.
I think everyone has seen the classic green Coleman like that. They're made in liquid fuel, or propane versions.
Propane:
Rectangle Gas Automotive lighting Font Metal

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I don't have a camping stove, but most of what food I've stocked is passable unheated. I do have propane fake logs in two fireplaces, but I haven't used them in years. We thought they'd be great, but turns out they're only for looks. For heat, they eat up oxygen pretty fast to where they could be dangerous. If I open the damper you can breathe, but most of the heat goes up the chimney. Open a window for air, it lets the cold in. I have a full tank outside that's about 2 feet wide and chest high. I don't know what size that is, that's rated in pounds, I think. Anybody know?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Whut arr yoo, sum kynda purfexshunist ? .......;).... I was just teasing ...

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Yes, lots! For survival purposes I would go with the MSR or Coleman Peak, the propane stoves are great in warm and Fall conditions but not very good in cold weather. Coleman has what they call the Peak backpack stove that runs on dual fuels, Coleman/White Gas or Unleaded Gas, great for all season emergency use' MSR, Mountain Safety Research is a division of REI and they highly test their products here in the mountains, especially at Mt Rainier for
expedition use.
My son and I have used all of those pictured as well as as the ones I have mentioned, the new Jetbiol is much more stable than the older versions but for ease of use I would try to find a Peak.

View attachment 12383
I've had one of those Coleman Duel Fuel single burners for 30 years. Bought a Duel Fuel 2 burner stove at the same time.
Usually make coffee on the single, while cookin breakfast on the double.
When we're campin, we usually have dirt bikes with us, so gas is always handy.
I always have a gallon can of Colman Fuel handy too.

Reactions: bearcatter

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
When we used to backpack in the White Mountains, I had a single burner stove that burned white gas. Probably was dual fuel but I just used the white gas. Used to fill it for a weekend trip and we would have a freeze dried meal for the evening and then make coffee in the morning, cook eggs and toast and head out. It was fun. The little stove worked well for us but we would go during the summer.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
Thank you guys so much for the stove ideas! Yes I'm leaning toward a propane stove because the canisters can be refilled from a larger tank, therefore lower fuel costs and availability. The dual fuel ability is great, I didn't know that existed.
Kind of really depends on what your main use is and what fuel availability might be for the needed period of time.

Reactions: bearcatter

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
There are actually little stoves that burn wood. Some have a battery powered fan to increase the fire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts