Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we got any good cooks on this forum , share the best way to cook ......and clean....with cast iron skillets and pots. I have heard a lotta different story's about how this should be done.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
According to my Grandma they have to be 'seasoned' before they're used. Rub a thin layer of shortening or cooking oil into the cookware to season it. Then place the cast iron cookware into a warm oven that is off and allow it to sit there overnight.

Wash in hot water. Hot water dries faster which prevents cast iron from rusting. Do not over scrub or you will need to do the 'season' thing again.

Dry over heat. Turn a stove top burner on and place the cast iron cookware on it. The heat will cause the pan to thoroughly dry.

Reseason the cast iron cookware occasionally or when necessary. When cooking avoid scratching the inside of the pots and pans.

Even though they're heavy I still use mine once in awhile. Yep, some things are just better cooked in cast iron. :D

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
+1 on what Natalie said....The only thing I cook in cast iron any more is cornbread....non-stick is the way to go..... :D

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Wizard said:
+1 on what Natalie said....The only thing I cook in cast iron any more is cornbread....non-stick is the way to go..... :D

Hey Wizard, there's really non-stick cast iron? (Psssssst: a bit of knowledge that makes the difference between a cook and a chef.)

Do you make your cornbread with or without sugar? Do you have Costco in FL? They sell the best cornbread mix (eww, I know). It's too crumbly but tastes wonderful. It has kernals of corn in it.

Do you like grits? How do you eat them? I'm the only one I know that eats grits with brown sugar cause I'm a Yankee-Doodle Dandy.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Natalie said:
Wizard said:

Hey Wizard, there's really non-stick cast iron? (Psssssst: a bit of knowledge that makes the difference between a cook and a chef.)

Do you make your cornbread with or without sugar? Do you have Costco in FL? They sell the best cornbread mix (eww, I know). It's too crumbly but tastes wonderful. It has kernals of corn in it.

Do you like grits? How do you eat them? I'm the only one I know that eats grits with brown sugar cause I'm a Yankee-Doodle Dandy.
It is pure blasphamy to put sugar in cornbread....sugar goes into cake..... :lol: I like Martha White regular cornmeal....not self-rising.....corn meal, a little flour, an egg or two, 1/8 cup bacon grease and plenty of cracklins....crumbled up in a plate of mustard or collard greens with some pepper sauce....or in a bowl of just about any dry bean I can get my hands on....and of course, no respectable pot of beans or greens would be without smoked ham hock..... :lol:

I love grits....I have this theory about grits....grits are supposed to be yellow, not white....we always eat grits one of three ways: 1: Eggs sunny side up, cut up in the grits with your fork...turns them yellow from the yoke....2: Grits with cheddar or american cheese melted in them....turns them yellow....3: a helping of grits with a tablespoon of yellow mustard stired in....turns them yellow....
So see, grits are supposed to be yellow..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Wizard said:
Natalie said:
Wizard said:

It is pure blasphamy to put sugar in cornbread....sugar goes into cake..... :lol: I like Martha White regular cornmeal....not self-rising.....corn meal, a little flour, an egg or two, 1/8 cup bacon grease and plenty of cracklins....crumbled up in a plate of mustard or collard greens with some pepper sauce....or in a bowl of just about any dry bean I can get my hands on....and of course, no respectable pot of beans or greens would be without smoked ham hock..... :lol:

I love grits....I have this theory about grits....grits are supposed to be yellow, not white....we always eat grits one of three ways: 1: Eggs sunny side up, cut up in the grits with your fork...turns them yellow from the yoke....2: Grits with cheddar or american cheese melted in them....turns them yellow....3: a helping of grits with a tablespoon of yellow mustard stired in....turns them yellow....
So see, grits are supposed to be yellow..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I like you Wizard - you're okay. :mrgreen: I did have the cornbread/onions/beans thingy in Virginia. Some nice lady with a hat cooked it up and I tried it and then had some more and some more. GREAT STUFF. Better not go too far from a bathroom after that though. :?

Now you are slightly aware that I am a Yankee and so i can't agree about the grits. I'll try it all one time out of curiosity but bet I stick to my brown sugar.

One more question - do you put butter on these grits before you turn them really yellow? Any salt or pepper??? Just want to get it right. I'm trusting you here.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Natalie, butter can only make grits taste better.... :D ...and yes, grits HAVE TO HAVE SALT....and pepper to taste....the more pepper, the better..... :lol: When you chop your sunnyside eggs up in the grits, it also helps if you add some crumbled up pattie sausage in it....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Natalie said:
According to my Grandma they have to be 'seasoned' before they're used. Rub a thin layer of shortening or cooking oil into the cookware to season it. Then place the cast iron cookware into a warm oven that is off and allow it to sit there overnight.

Wash in hot water. Hot water dries faster which prevents cast iron from rusting. Do not over scrub or you will need to do the 'season' thing again.

Dry over heat. Turn a stove top burner on and place the cast iron cookware on it. The heat will cause the pan to thoroughly dry.

Reseason the cast iron cookware occasionally or when necessary. When cooking avoid scratching the inside of the pots and pans.

Even though they're heavy I still use mine once in awhile. Yep, some things are just better cooked in cast iron. :D
thanks natalie....some of my pals tell me not to put dishwashing liquid on the skillet when washing....just wipe it out with warm water right after cookin. seasonin thang is what I need to get down to pat....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wizard.....my wife looks at me sometimes and says..."do you want grits with your eggs"....I wonder if she's from another planet !!!!...eggs aint grits,and grits aint eggs. If they aint put together...it aint breakfast !!!!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Preach on, MRB....preach on. Down here, grits & eggs are just as good for supper as they are for breakfast..... :lol:

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
thanks natalie....some of my pals tell me not to put dishwashing liquid on the skillet when washing....just wipe it out with warm water right after cookin. seasonin thang is what I need to get down to pat....
Mom always just wiped out her iron skillets but I wash them - it's just not clean to me otherwise. I'm weird about some things.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Natalie said:
Mom always just wiped out her iron skillets but I wash them - it's just not clean to me otherwise. I'm weird about some things.
.....I burnt some food in the pan last night....after it cooled off,I took it outside for the bulldog to lick off. 30 minutes later...clean as a whistle !!!!!. wife never knew the difference when I cooked eggs this mornin......matter of fact , I got a pat on the back for a tasty breakfast !!!!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Did you give any thought to everything else your pooch licks clean besides the family fry pan? If I knew your wife I would tell on you. That's just gross. You are such a boy.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Way to go mrb!!! I've been readin' you guys stuff...only way I get grits is if I don't shower for a coupla days...I hate them things!!!! Kinda like Cream-o-Wheat with an attitude...the reason they put so much stuff in em is to get folks to eat em....yeeeechhh!!!!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
sheepdog said:
Way to go mrb!!! I've been readin' you guys stuff...only way I get grits is if I don't shower for a coupla days...I hate them things!!!! Kinda like Cream-o-Wheat with an attitude...the reason they put so much stuff in em is to get folks to eat em....yeeeechhh!!!!

and we respect your personal opinion.

I just wonder how any self-respecting Texan can not like grits? That's like not liking biscuits or cornbread or BBQ or Black Angus steak.

Just so you know, I could be a Texan except I don't think there are any Catholic churches that exist there plus I'm not big in stature and I'm not tough unless pi$$ed off. I grow a little then.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
There's only two things from Texas that I just don't understand....

1) Mesquite.....leaves a terrible taste on meat and is wothless for anything elsel

2) Chili without beans....whoever heard of chili without beans....that's like the Vatican without a Pope..... :lol:

Edited to add a 3rd thing.....

3) BBQ beef.....BBQ is for PORK and CHICKEN. Beef is to be grilled and absolutely NO BBQ SAUCE..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Wizard said:
There's only two things from Texas that I just to understand....

1) Mesquite.....leaves a terrible taste on meat and is wothless for anything elsel

2) Chili without beans....whoever heard of chili without beans....that's like the Vatican without a Pope..... :lol:

3) BBQ beef.....BBQ is for PORK and CHICKEN. Beef is to be grilled and absolutely NO BBQ SAUCE..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

YES! You rock Wizard!!! I agree with ALL of the above and i'm a Yankee. Well, on second thought. . I've had beef potroast done on the grill with a BBQ-like sauce and brisket cooked long and slow with a sauce that was awesome. Guess I only agree with #1 and 2.

Never heard of chili without beans.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Natalie said:
Wizard said:
There's only two things from Texas that I just to understand....

YES! You rock Wizard!!! I agree with ALL of the above and i'm a Yankee. Well, on second thought. . I've had beef potroast done on the grill with a BBQ-like sauce and brisket cooked long and slow with a sauce that was awesome. Guess I only agree with #1 and 2.

Mesquite makes nice grips!
Never heard of chili without beans.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Natalie said:
Did you give any thought to everything else your pooch licks clean besides the family fry pan? If I knew your wife I would tell on you. That's just gross. You are such a boy.
I'm a good little boy though. You should see how clean my dogs teeth get when I scrubum with a brillo pad.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sheepdog said:
sheepdog , grits and cheese ....with fresh fried fish is a delicacy fit for any redneck that's worth his salt. Show nuff good when the skillet has been properly cleaned by the ''dog squad''.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts