Gunner Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had one helluva storm come through here tonight. Had a couple big branches down on the deck and in the yard, and the power was out.

So I broke out my trusty chainsaw. And by trusty I do mean trusty. Of all the piece of crap small engines I wrestle with all year long (if my snowblower and weedwacker collided in a fiery explosion I would rejoice and toast marshmallows over their incinerating corpses), my chainsaw is the one thing that starts and runs like it's supposed to. It's just an inexpensive, small Poulan but it freakin works. I do need a new blade though.

Anyway, the one thing I wish I could fix is, when it's warm, it idles so slowly that I always have to be futzing with the trigger, kind of revving it to keep it from stalling. But today I had long branches, and I'd cut a piece off, then slide the log forward to cut the next, and by the time I did that it would stall out. It always starts right up again, but is there a way to increase the idle speed on a chainsaw? I'm not very good at these things.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Mostly due to the vibration inherant in most chainsaw engines, the air mixture screws will move , & need to be "very slightly" re-adjusted from time to time. There are usually two of them located on the carburetor. Check the owners manual to see which screw is which. ( one is Idle adjust, & one is Hi speed adjust )
Also, the air filter may be to the point that it may need "washed" out, instead of just brushing it off. How long has it been since the sparkplug was changed ?
;) Even the expensive "Vibration Free" chainsaws do vibrate, :shock: they're just rubber insulated, so the operator doesn't feel it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That's exactly what the problem should be.

The solution is to get a new Husqvarna 395 with at least a 28 inch bar.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Stihls are like Colts, they are getting by on name.

·
Registered
892 Posts
My oldest Son-in-law, does a little tree trimming & removal on the side. Last Fall, an older lady called & asked if He & His Brother would remove a large Maple tree that had been storm damaged. Of course they took the job. While they were doing the cleanup, the lady asked My Son-in-law if He was in need of "another chainsaw" ?? Of course He asked what it was, because His was getting a few miles on it. She replied that She had no idea, but that Her Husband had bought it new, just before He died & never got to use it. If He wanted it He should just go out to the shed & get it, because She "had no use for it & He did". He got a brand new Stihl / 650 ??, case & all. Great little saw, & She would not take a nickel for it ! Some guys are just in the right place at the right time I guess.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
See, this is why this place is so great...you just learn all kinds of good crap!!! I had a 179.00 Craftsman 18" blade saw....3 years old...took it to the shop 3 times in one day....found out they'd told the shops (Poulan had) that once you use synthetic oil, you can't go back to natural oil....it wasn't in the Sears owners manual, and I'd changed to the best oil the shop had....I took it back to Sears and got a brand new saw one notch better....been tearin' it up with it this year....someday I may grow up to buy a real saw but this one just keeps makin' me dollars.....thanks for the tips....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to clean it up and take the cover off it maybe tonight or later this week (all my big sawing I completed last night). At that time if I can't figure out what's what, I will take some pictures and post them here and maybe someone can guide me through it. I've long lost the manual (but I guess I can find one online). Thanks though.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Gotta go crank mine this mornin'...neighbor has a stump up too high...we were gonna pull it but tired of cuttin' 4" roots...gonna take it below ground level and pour sugar on it and cover it with topsoil....too hot to play with it anymore....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Usually the mixture adjustment screws will be marked with an L and an H. There will also be another screw just for your idle speed. It will be away from the other 2 and will have a spring under the head. The mixture screws may have little plastic sleeves around them which are limiters. It's an eco thing so you can't set it too rich. You sometimes need to remove them to get a good mix, otherwise they run so lean. They should slide off.
As someone said, first make sure the air filter is clean.
1) With it running and warmed up, turn the L either way until you get the highest idle speed.
2) Then if needed, turn the idle adj screw out to slow down the speed so the chain isn't moving.
3) Then run the engine on high and adjust the H screw. Turn it in so the engine is running smooth. Then slowly turn the screw back out, (counter-clockwise) just until it starts to run a little rich. You'll hear the engine sound change.
Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Just added this to my favorites so I won't lose it...thanks again, guys....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts