Gunner Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a project of creating a black powder pistol, and i got some wounderings about the choice of steel for the barrel and chamber.

It will be a 6 millimeter caliber, and i aim for 9 millimeter thickness of the barrel and chamber walls. I will propell it by 6 grains of black powder (or equivallent amount of substitute, probably tripple seven) so basically a classic .22 extra long in pressure.

What steel should i choose? How would 4340 work out in this application? And how should i protect it from rust? I belive i won't have any blueing. Would it be enough to just clean it carefully and put on some grease after shooting with 4340 (carbon steel)?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Welcome to the forum Monday, from Colorado! We got a couple guys here that'll be able to help you out. They'll be along shortly. Pull up a stump, grab somethin cold and enjoy!

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Welcome from Tx .
I build many single shot black powder rifles , pistols and canons from scratch and not from a kit . Since black powder work on a low pressure any steel or brass [ not cast ] should be find . You can go to many gunsmith and find gun barrels already rifled . I made alot of smooth bore pistol and sold them like the one below and made them into a swamp type barrels that shot as good as a rifled barrel . My flint rifle below was made with no power tools . I got a block wood and sawed and carved the stock all by hand . All the dove tails and metal work was all hand fitted too . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts