Gunner Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So were coming into winter time, and that means some special considerations for us in the cold weather areas of the country. (Kiss my frozen backside Wizard :D )

First of all, it means if I'm wearing a big heavy coat, it's REALLY easy to hide a big heavy gun.

But here's the problem. Sometimes it's still necessary for me to carry my LCP even though the cold weather is here. I have to take off my coat sometimes...and sometimes I need to carry in areas where I need to be discreet about having a gun; and while I like carrying my P-89, it's not the easiest gun in the world to hide. As going unarmed is not an option, the LCP comes with me during those times when having somebody spot my gun would be BAD.

So...back to the cold weather discussion. The .380 Auto is not my first choice for possibly having to shoot through heavy winter coats and multiple layers. And while I like my hollow points in the summer time, I'm wondering if FMJ rounds might be the way to go in winter time. I know they're not going to make much of hole, but they should have a better chance of having good penetration though a heavy leather coat.

What do you think????

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
really good question, I look forward to the responses. I think your theory is solid.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I think 1) Always carry your backup 2)always carry your primary-even if it's inconvenient (see my sig) 3) Head shots with a .380-you can get there...or neck shots...forget the torso if they're wearing a heavy coat...and stick to the hp that will feed...get so that you can hit a soupcan at 8', then 15', then 25'...you can do it easily with practice....

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sheepdog...it's not that I don't want to carry my primary. It's that if I get spotted I could be someplace where it may not be technically legal for me to have my gun. That means it's either carry the BUG or just a knife. I'm thinking the BUG is a better choice than nothing at all. While I firmly believe that it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6...I'm not going to push my luck.

I see your point about head shots. But sometimes for the sake of speed a center of mass shot might be all you get. So back the original question...HP or FMJ to go through heavy winter clothes?

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
John it depends on the caliber. 45 acp and 9mm will be ok with fmj's imo. They will penetrate clothing but not the body. If it's a 357 you plan on carrying I wouldn't go with fmj's because of pass thru. I'd stay with HP's because they'll still penetrate. I always carry FMJ loads in my LCP. The hollow points will open way to soon and too much on heavy clothing, I would think, and won't penetrate very deep anyway. The solid load will go much deeper and increase your chance of hitting a vital that will put him down.

Disclaimer: I take absolutely no responsibility for anything I say here or anywhere else.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was thinking BH...it's not perfect by FMJ in a .380 in the winter time is better than nothing.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Two basic premises are not true... 1) you can't hide your P89......I go anywhere with my P90 or 97 and a Bodyguard....under just a work T-shirt, tail out...never been spotted...you CAN do it, too 2) you discount the capability to make head shots or neck shots from across the room....you do what you train to do....

BH--....9mm and .45 will go through heavy clothes and a body and out behind unless they hit a bone...in those calibers, a HP of good quality will often penetrate clothing and expand and do a fine job....if it does not expand, it penetrates close to like a fmj....the faster it moves, the better it expands...clothing doesn't stop penetration with a hp as often as it clogs the cavity and doesn't cause expansion....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Two points:

#1. At self defense distances, you best be pulling head shots
#2. Yeah, caliber discussions have their place, but actually firing a shot in self defense is highly unlikely. Just have a piece, have it loaded, and be able to use it.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
rp...I would be better armed with a High Standard 4" .22 revolver any kind of weather than many with a beeeeeeg gun.....I paid my dues and put appx 500 rounds through one every weekend for a coupla years...I can shoot that sucker...but I TRAINED...that's where reloading pays off...these guys who reload can afford to shoot like they want to...and they earn the right to hit what they aim at most of the time....head shots across a room aren't hard...I had my boys in early teenage pointing a pellet pistol at hip level across a 14' bedroom and hitting a 5 gal. bucket mouth with a rag over it...no sights...

John, if you'd take your new .22 and 10 bx. shells every weekend for a month, you'd triple your aiming skills....and you'd retain them....I quit policing in 79---only shot a revolver a dozen times or so till 96....and fired 149 of 150 on the range with a 5" .38 Double Action only...and I'm not a great shot....you're young and healthy and totally underestimate your capabilities...do the time and you'll be able to hit what you want most of the time....and I'm encouraging, not chastizing...you CAN do it.....

I have concealed under a t-shirt or an ivy league button-down with tails out...or polo shirt tail out...from a .22 derringer to a .41 Magnum...more full-sized guns than small..and in 44 years, I've never been spotted...carried most of those years...you guys can do it easier than you think....don't limit yourself....

p.s. and I got belly, and lots of it....I ain't thin no more....and love handles...XL size, and STILL I can....

p.p.s....to make my point...this is how I dress daily...and the shirt can be semi-dressy and do the same...this guy is funny, but it proves the point....

http://www.toxicjunction.com/get.asp?i=V1050

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
didn't we cover this in the bathroom thread?????

there ya go...........another reason for the lanyard............ :lol: the LCP is so small and light ya could wear it almost like a charm necklace..............

but a smith model 638 bodyguard sure does fit fine in any pocket........be it a coat or pants pocket...........and if need be can fire right thru the coat pocket and keep functioning for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th shot..........

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...a good revolver's got fondle quality like no auto ever had...they just feel sooooo good in the hand...and they work every time...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts