Gunner Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an odd question I know, don't think I'm morbid. Let's say someone dies with no will, no spouse, or other immediate family. He has a paid for house, full of stuff, and paid for cars. Money in the bank. Who gets it all ? The state? Is there a special agency that sorts it all out? That could be an interesting job........:eek:

Take me for example. The important papers are in three places. Gun stuff is in several places throughout the house. All the spare keys are in a bookcase. Some of them are all the keys there are.

Second thought. If you call 911 for an ambulance and can't get to the door, do they kick it in ? Someone mentioned that at work, and with wife still on crutches, it made me think. I have a 72 year old 6 panel door in an odd size., with a heavy casing.

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
The will would govern. As to who would get the proceeds if there was no will or heirs from the sale of the estate property it most likely would go to the lawyers the court appoints to settle the estate. Any leftover would escheat to the state. (most states that have escheatable property laws)

As to your door not something I would worry about if it were a life threatening situation. A good carpenter can fix you right back up again.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious what would be done with the actual furniture, jewelry, dishes, guns (?), and other stuff. Auction I guess. I've thought about hiding a key outside in a really odd place, that could be given in the call or shouted through the door. I like my door, it has a really interesting lock set that is apparently original 1949.

I was partly just trying to generate a few posts. Things are a little slow lately......:(

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
I suspect if first responders believe someone inside is in need of immediate assistance they won't take time to look for a key but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Based on your first scenario, guns would be confiscated and all would go to the State through the probate process.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WILL!!
Then , next of kin takes prescience, and the fight is on! lol, even if there is a Will.
Guns can be a tricky thing depending on where you live. A friend died, no Will, Sheriff confiscated them, never to be seen again. He did have a hand written Will, not notarized, leaving them to my brother, and his only relative in Florida only wanted money.
In both mine and my brother's cases, we have spelled out who gets what and have already distributed guns before anyone gets their grubby hands on them! I do have to teach my son how to get into my safe and will do so before our upcoming adventure tour.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My personal situation is pitiful. The Occasionally Better Half is hugely optimistic that we will make it to 100 I think. We have no wills, not even burial plots. Papers are in the house, not in a safe or bank deposit box. At 65, that's not good. I bring the subject up once in a while, can't convince yet.

Our only relatives are a brother apiece, each is older than us, and some nephews / nieces.

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
The problem with no will comes when one of the couple dies. The other one then has the problems. The assets are frozen while the other spouse has to worry about funeral expenses and surviving themselves. Here is a good article by Dave Ramsey:

What Happens If You Die Without a Will? | DaveRamsey.com

They can be done fairly inexpensively and then once done are pretty durable going forward. As to burial plots are there any "family" plots that are unused? In many cases ones that were bought decades ago were not used because the intended people moved on, have their own families and then are buried elsewhere. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I have a pet cemetery on the farm. Buried there are four dogs and two cats who I have loved and lost over the many years. My burial request is to be cremated and buried in the pet cemetery with my old friends. I can see all of us running and playing together if the good Lord is kind enough to raise us up together.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We had three dogs together, and they all died within the space of a year. Two Westies had medical issues, and a Pomeranian was paralyzed in a fall. All were cremated (local funeral business does pets), and after the third, we decided to bury them together. All the ash containers were put in a large Rubbermaid and buried in the back yard with a marker. There are places on eBay that make them in cast resin. We like The Andy Griffith Show, and their names ended up being Barney, Andy, and Thelma Lou......

Our current guy "Rupert" (already named at the shelter !) is a Parson Russell Terrier, and he will have his own special deal. Smartest, sweetest dog I've ever come across. With any luck, he still has at least seven years to go. They average 14-15 birthdays.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts