Gunner Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its been a while, but guess what?

i ran out of gas............................. :eek:
And what worse, i did not have a woman with me as an excuse to go parkin'. :oops:

I've talked about this a bit while back, but i got myself an old 74' chevy pickup and have been workin' on her when i can. Lots of work as she had been sittin' up not runnin' for a lot of years.
New wiring, carb, fuel pump, replaced the points with electronic ignition, and probably a dozen other things i can't remember right now.

But rapidly moving up to the top of the list for the next thing to do is FIX THE GAS GUAGE! :!:
I went to the lake fishin' again today and sure enough, just as i'm getin' back to town, she sputters and dies. Fortunately she will probably win a coastin' championship as that ole' heavy pickup will coast a good ways whe she is movin'. I coasted the last mile to the edge of town. My buddy who was with me had a cell phone so my wife showed up with a gas can. :oops: :oops:

We had a good laugh about it and figured the "poor boy" air conditioner is what hurt the gas milage ;) . You see my AC is rollin' the windows down and popin' open those old window vents and that works purty well. Figured the window vents increased wind resistance and thats what did us in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: it could not had been the 350/4 barrel quadrajet engine and carb! :roll:

Come pay day, i'm gonna fill'er up----if i can afford to! :p .

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I haven't run out of gas in a long while. I almost did a couple of months ago. The thing is my gas gauge does work and I have this stupid dinger that doesn't shut up. I turned the radio up so I wouldn't have to listen to it and then forgot to stop for gas. The next morning I went to work and then had to run down the road at lunch. Just made it. :lol: At least you didn't have to Flintstone it. :lol:

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I usually run out of gas with money in my pocket---haven't done it in 3 years but I've done it 3 times in a week!!! I drove an old 84 Ford v6 with no gas gauge and I was the $5 per day guy...'bout cured of that...last two times, I coasted to a pump....glad you did it on the way back...woulda been a shame to ruin the day!!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dumb move deputy! You should put air shocks on the rearend and pump em up so you'll always be goin downhill! You'll get a Lot better mileage!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
air shocks? :lol: does that mean if i bust one i'll go 'round in circles? :lol:

i need some more tires, so instead i might put L's on the back.......... :lol:

·
Registered
892 Posts
The Gas Guage in My Wrangler hasn't worked since I bought it 7 years ago. We've replaced everything but the fuel pump & sending unit so far, & still no go.

I know it might be stupid, but I carry a good quality 2 1/2 Gal. plastic gas can with Me all the time.
:eek: :eek:

I figure I'm good for 40 miles or more, if I do run out. :mrgreen: (3 times so far)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
In my older Chevy p/up, when it got low it would sputter as it went around a turn. I got so use to that being my warning I didn't notice I was getting low one day coming down the straighy-as-an-arrow freeway. I turned onto the offramp to where I was going just as it died. At the bottom of the hill was an Exxon station where I stopped at the pump just as if was planned.
That sure was a good ole truck.

My daughter drives as if it's a challange to see how close she can get to dead on empty before she stops for gas.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
My daughter drives as if it's a challange to see how close she can get to dead on empty before she stops for gas.
I think that is a total woman thing. I'm sure if Natalie was back she would correct me, but every woman I have ever shared a car with (wife, sister, mom) would look at you like you just offered them a lightly grilled weasel if you said that you should fill the tank up when there is still a 1/4 left.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Johngoboom said:
I think that is a total woman thing. I'm sure if Natalie was back she would correct me, but every woman I have ever shared a car with (wife, sister, mom) would look at you like you just offered them a lightly grilled weasel if you said that you should fill the tank up when there is still a 1/4 left.
I like my weasel well done. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts