Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I haven't been feeling to well since Sunday. I'm guessing it's not tomatos. :)

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
If you had salmonella...you'd be more than "not feeling too well"...it's more like feel like you're dying and wouldn't mind dying if it just STOPS!!!

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Had to be infected by some guy named Joe Bob just got back from a game show 2 night three day trip....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Lasts FOUR to SEVEN DAYS..... that's evil. John and I are growing our own (you are growing tomatoes Farmer John?) Lots of baaaaaaad stuff happening to our food lately.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
sheepdog said:
Had to be infected by some guy named Joe Bob just got back from a game show 2 night three day trip....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
You bet I got four very nice Early Girl tomatoes plants coming up real well.

Plus we have Burp-less Cucumbers, Green Beans, Broccoli, Cabbage, Sweet Corn, Bell Peppers, Sweet Peppers, Hot Peppers, Summer Squash, Zucchini, Radishes, and yellow onions.

And don't forget to pick the raspberries and the rhubarb either. And if you’re still hungry, I have a small deck planter with some strawberries.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
But.. but where's the sugar snap peas? That's okay, I'll be nicey-nice and bring mine over. ;) Hey Farmer John, is your rhubarb humongous this year? I've already picked a bunch but you'd never know it. My leaves are huge and the stalks are long and big around and deep red. I could enter it in a farmer contest. I'm PROUD of my rhubarb - yessir.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
You've got strawberries :eek:? I don't have any strawberries and I love strawberries. :cry:

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
The wife isn't a fan of peas...And yes the rhubarb is giant this year...we had a good spring for it.

As for strawberrie, you can grow them on your porch, deck, or patio with ease. They grow great in small containers, and the "strawberry" pots that have small holes in the sides really work well. Its not much, but its nice to get a quart or two of your own berries. Plus at the end of the year, you can replant the berries in your garden, and they will come back and be ready to transplant in the spring.

The raspberries are the ones I really enjoy, the year before last I picked 3 gallons of them.

Sheepdog, how do you feel about rasberry pie??? Warm pie with a scoop of ice cream...oh man that will make a bob cat hug a hound dog to get some.

We have a NICE little you-pick em blueberry farm down the road, we always get 2-3 gallons of those to freeze as well.

·
Administrator
11,051 Posts
I have high bush blueberries that I have planted and get a few each year. This year they were covered with blossoms so hopefully we'll get a nice crop.

I love rasberries and wish I had some but haven't had the ambition to plant any yet. There are wild blackberries around that I wade into and pick every year as I like them almost as well as rasberries. There was one patch on some local land that had canes about 1" plus at the base and huge blackberries. The land owner uses the land as a hay field and decided to bulldoze the patch and to let the hay spread out some more. It broke my heart.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Never had raspberry.....but elderberry and huckleberry and blueberry and .....oh, boy!!!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Raspberry jelly is my favorite! I would strain the raspberries through cheesecloth to remove the seeds when I made jam because my dad loved raspberry jelly but couldn't stand the seeds in jam. I buy Smuckers now. :D

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I make pepper jelly, and it is by far may favorite....when I make it, I make enough to give to a few people, then I make a batch for me....I like it warm..... :twisted:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wizard said:
I make pepper jelly, and it is by far may favorite....when I make it, I make enough to give to a few people, then I make a batch for me....I like it warm..... :twisted:
OOOOOHHHHH YEA!!! Now your talk'n! My Mom makes Jalapeno jelly. Have you tried it as a marinade or BBQ sauce for meat? Oh Baby you have never had Ribs or Pork Chops till you had them slathered with Moms Jalapeno jelly! My cousin has won 1st. place several times in BBQ cookoffs using Moms jelly!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
I had some over cream cheese served on crackers and it was awesome. Couldn't stop eating. Is it hard to make Wiz? How big is a batch? The pepper jelly I had was not homemade.

I wouldn't try the jalapeno because I can't stand HOT. Those peppers are hot to me. People raised eating hot foods really love that kind of stuff. I even had a bit of trouble in Louisiana with the cajun food. Yet, I love mexican food. Yummy!

·
Administrator
11,051 Posts
If I read any more of this I'm going to start gaining weight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts