Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had a big window pop up about whether I want the site selling my personal data. Of course I don't, that's a stupid question. I didn't answer, and closed it with the "X". Now there's a blue "Do not sell my data" tab on the right edge of the screen. Is this legit?

I've had enough problem with the NAA forum going crazy for a solid week.They still don't know, or won't admit, what happened. It's still not totally fixed for some members.

I'm not clicking anything without Terry's okey-dokey.

·
Administrator
11,891 Posts
I use Adblock Plus, a free download and on forums no pop ups or ads. It has blocked over 700k cow flops over the years.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's on the right edge of Gunner Forum, like it's an official part of the forum.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Figured out doing a screenshot. I've tried closing GF and reopening it. The tab comes back after a few seconds.
Maybe admin or RetiredSeabee know something?

First the NAA forum going haywire and now this? I wonder if some anti-gun hackers are trying to screw with gun sites?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I haven't gotten it either!

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've run a security update and malware scans. Nothing. I'll try logging out and back in.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I logged out and it's still there. I closed GF and reopened it, still there. Logged back in, still there. I'll just ignore it.

I wish I could remember what the popup said. Several paragraphs of legal sounding stuff about allowing my personal data to be sold. You could pick yes or no, and had a "Confirm" button. There was an X in the top corner and I clicked that. Popup went away, and the blue tab appeared.

If it's legit, GF's owners had to allow it, and they get $$ for it, right?

After the NAA forum problems I'm paranoid.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay, I installed Adblock Plus and restarted. Blue tab still there. So I got brave and clicked it; and got the pop-up. It does show that it is from Gunner Forum. I did a screen shot and closed it. My new Adblock didn't stop it, so how come I get it and you other guys don't?
FWIW, all the ads on the right side are gone. Now just the blue tab.
IMHO, if it's legit it should be a post within the forum, instead of the creepy pop-up. Neither Seabee or Terry knew about it, and should have. I still don't trust doing anything with it. Too much cyber crap going on these days.
I'm sorry I bothered everyone about this, but for all I know it could crash my PC.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe they've looked it over. The blue tab is gone.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Philip, thank you very much!
So it is legit. Only thing is, I'm in Virginia and my ISP is regional, nowhere near CA. My VPN does change my apparent location, usually to Ohio. My VPN is on now, and the tab is still gone. Either way, I know it's safe if it shows up again.

·
Administrator
390 Posts
Philip, thank you very much!
So it is legit. Only thing is, I'm in Virginia and my ISP is regional, nowhere near CA. My VPN does change my apparent location, usually to Ohio. My VPN is on now, and the tab is still gone. Either way, I know it's safe if it shows up again.
No, thank you guys! If it shows up again you are welcome to engage it as you feel is appropriate. It should not expand if you do not engage it. If it ever does, please let me know. It's new and mostly controlled by us. When I asked the operations guys about it they said if it behaves badly we need to know right away. I was away most of this week so I might have missed any notices that went out about this and it took me some time to get answers with half the team off for the holiday today.

We always want to know when you see things that look out of place. Maybe cliche but if you see something, say something so we can fix it or at least explain it.

-Philip

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looked very out of place and the explanation is very welcome. There is so much criminal activity online now; I don't trust anything. If we don't get ahead of it, the Internet will become a big catalog and encyclopedia. Zero activity with personal info and money.

Reactions: admin

·
Administrator
390 Posts
Don't get me started on all the scammers we get trying to get over the fence, haha. Never feel like you guys are asking silly questions or bothering any of us about things that don't seem right. We can't see everything you guys see. Screen grabs work very well with reports. We try to keep a tight leash on ads, sometimes the networks that provide them go a little feral and we need to catch and kill a problem ad. Reports are good, we appreciate the help.
-Philip

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Looks like the blue tab is permanent, I did what it asked, and it's still there.

That was midnight, now 10 AM and gone. ??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts