Gunner Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, it is posted closed. No opportunity for a reply comment ?

Second, I wasn't aware of any definite issues with the site.

Third, it works great with my Windows 7 desktop.

Fourth, I've always understood that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I like it like it is. Better layout and function than many other forums.

Finally, with the recent spate of the major social media ignoring the First Amendment, suspicion comes easy when even our humble little group is being changed and edited. Especially since we are something of a Second Amendment forum.

·
Super Moderator
10,706 Posts
The owners are transitioning all their sites away from V Bulletin to XenForo. It's change and with change comes resistance to change. The main reason they are doing it is the new software is much more protective of our personal info and less subject to hacking plus the software is operationally faster and easier to update. We went live on RFN about 10 months ago and you had those that liked it and those that hated it. It's not difficult to use just different. The tutorials are excellent and VS gave us good support during the transition. Didn't sound like it will be immediate but good advice to check your passwords and make sure you remember them.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Terry. Your explanation is clearer than the original, and I appreciate it. Just coincidental bad timing that this came up during the social media assault on the 1 A.

·
Super Moderator
10,706 Posts
They transitioned the larger forums over first and we are smaller so the timing is probably more how they prioritized the changeover. We aren't immune to what happened to the AR Forum but VS and their Second Media Division which hosts all their recreational forums have a lot of clout in the form of hosting and annual registration fees they pay so I'm guessing Google would think long and hard about it.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is best gun forum with the best, nicest people. With recent events, I am a little worried over it getting messed with. If someone does, we'll just sic SNG on 'em.....:-D

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, on Explorer I was greeted by large gray balls and arrows that covered up half the page. The first "new posts" were two years old. So I tried Edge, and it seems okay so far. At least it seems happy with Windows 7. I'll play with it some before I pass judgement. So far, I'm not smiling. It is more complicated than before, features I don't need, like an algorithm deciding what would interest me? If I disappear inside of a week or so, you'll know I gave it up.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next, how do I get the newest post of a thread on top ? Now the first post is on top. And, where are the PMs ?

·
Super Moderator
10,706 Posts
PM's are accessible by clicking on your avatar in the upper right of the screen. In the drop down they are called conversations.

If you click on a thread it will take you to the most recent post that you have not seen.

If you click on the round "New" (new posts) just above the threads is a drop down "Filters". It is what you want shown in the new threads. I unchecked everything and saved as my default. It seems weird making stuff disappear so now all show with the top the most recent posted in thread.

Here are some tutorials that will help.

Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live! | Gunner Forum

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
PM's are accessible by clicking on your avatar in the upper right of the screen. In the drop down they are called conversations.

If you click on a thread it will take you to the most recent post that you have not seen.

If you click on the round "New" (new posts) just above the threads is a drop down "Filters". It is what you want shown in the new threads. I unchecked everything and saved as my default. It seems weird making stuff disappear so now all show with the top the most recent posted in thread.

Here are some tutorials that will help.

Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live! | Gunner Forum
For me, and it was like that on other forums after they changed, when you click on a thread, it goes to the 1st post.
Then you can hit "Jump To Latest", and scroll up to the first new one, if needed.

The next time you open that same thread, it will remember the last one seen.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Now that the admins have the latest and greatest, and know algorithms so well, how about posting the winning numbers to the lottery. I reckon everyone on this site will be willing to split the jackpot. hmmmmm?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

I gave those a shot, hopefully done right. Then I clicked back to New Posts, and the one with your instructions wasn't there. I had to hunt it down to do this reply. And now, all the Gunner Forum tabs that open now have a (5) in front, like the tab for this page says, "(5) Evaluation for a New Platform". The home page tab says, "(5) Gunner Forum". ????????

EDIT: Now this post is at the bottom, even though I cleared the filters and made it the default. I'll try again..........:poop:

·
Super Moderator
10,706 Posts
I can't handle all the alerts so I go thru the tedious process of elimination them all. That way if I have a red dot in my avatar upper right it is a PM.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I can't handle all the alerts so I go thru the tedious process of elimination them all. That way if I have a red dot in my avatar upper right it is a PM.
I went through and unchecked all the Alert actions. Didn't need 'em before, don't need 'em now. Can't get what's in Alerts to disappear, though. Maybe after so many days? I'm getting more irritated with this.........I like to click on the site, look at new posts, see if I have a new PM, and leave. .... I don't want a trophy, or a thumbs up; don't care about my points or reaction score........

EDIT: My (5) problem went away, somehow....

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They took away your trophy. :LOL:
Good..... Don't want other members jealous of any special status, do I ?........;)

I just noticed the smilies have a :devilish: to keep SNG happy. She might get some use out of :poop: too........

Reactions: 44s Rock

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Good..... Don't want other members jealous of any special status, do I ?........;)

I just noticed the smilies have a :devilish: to keep SNG happy. She might get some use out of :poop: too........
Oh boy I saw the poo but not the devil face! And its purple! YAY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts