Gunner Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from Mitch Albom's article in the Sunday Detroit Free Press:

"Today, a new bill is being proposed, one that would essentially do for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan what we did for those in World War II. A new, expanded GI Bill. It has bipartisan support from senators and congressmen. But not from the White House. The same White House that features a president and vice president who never saw combat; the same White House that throws around the phrase 'support our troops' to serve its purposes, thinks this bill is too expensive. It costs $2 billion to $4 billion a year. Too expensive? That's what we're spending in a few days in Iraq...."

Mitch's article builds a case in support of these veterans and veterans to be. Check it out.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Nothing is to good or expensive for our troops. That's one thing that I'll be glad to pay more taxes for. Beats a lot of other reasons they up our taxes. Time to replace our government with people who know how to govern.

·
Super Moderator
10,778 Posts
Let's see welfare for illegal aliens or fair treatment of those defending our country what a tough choice. I hadn't heard anything on this or that Bush was opposed? Could it be liberal rant or if it's true is their a bill number? Did the dem's attach a time table to withdraw? I just feel there is more to it but if not then I'm one of three people left in the country that still supports Bush and it'll be down to 2.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Nope Terry! Bush and McCain said there both against it for the following idiotic reason:

They have decided that since there are not enough officers and soldiers re-enlisting in an army that is already stretched thin, offering them more college tuition will only encourage them to leave the armed services and not re-up.

That's it in a nutshell, or at least that was the reason given on NPR this morning while they talked about this very subject. I'm sure you'll take the source with a grain of salt, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

There is your president and the Republican hopeful...What a sad, sad, world. :cry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts