Gunner Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out and shot some trap this weekend...I haven't shot since this spring, and I was pretty pleased with the result.

I shot 21, 22, and 21. Not bad for an old model 12. It's funny, at our club, there is only about 15 regular Trap shooters, and they are all VERY into it. The all have some seriously expensive guns, and shoot 2-3 time per week. I just like that I can get out their with a field grade model 12, and shoot pretty close to the same scores. We have a few guys that will shoot regular 25's but most post the same score I do.

The only problem with trap is the cost...It cost $4 a round plus about $5.50 a box for shells...If you shoot 3 rounds twice a week, that adds up fast! Even if you reload your own shells, it's still going to cost you $3.50 or so a box. I guess that's why I like taking the thrower out in the back yard with the 20 gauge and an IC choke...I can throw up 10 birds when I feel like it, and still have a good time.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
any day at the range is a good day..............but you're right, some folks really get into it with a lot of money and time invested-------problem is, they get so dang serious that they forget how to be sociable and how to have a good time...............

glad the ole' 16 is on the job and congrats on the fine rounds fired.................

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the 12 gauge heavy duck with a vent rib. I save the 16 for upland bird hunting. :D The price of 16 gauge shells are out of sight.

From Wikipedia...

American trap is broken down into three categories: 16 yd singles, 16 yd doubles and, handicap which is shot between 19 and 27 yd. In singles each shooter takes one shot at each of five targets in each of the five positions in sequence, while standing 16 yards (15.6 m) back from the trap house. The trap rotates back and forth so it is impossible to know which way the target is going to come out. Handicap is the same as singles but shot from further away. Adult male shooters start at the 20 yd line (18.3 m) and women and sub-juniors at 19 yd (17.3 m) and work their way back, "earning yardage" for shooting a score of 96 or higher, winning a championship or other major event, or shooting the highest score when 15 or more competitors shoot that event. No two shooters on the same squad should have a difference of more than three yards (2.7 m) between them. Doubles is shot from 16 yards (15.4 m) and the trap is fixed to fire straight away with the left and right targets appearing to be straight away when standing between positions 4 & 5; and 1 & 2, respectively. Two targets are thrown at the same time, with one shot per target allowed. There is no second shot on any target in American trap singles or handicap.

On Skeet Shooting...

The shooter shoots from 7 positions on a semi-circle with a radius of 21 yards (19 m), and an 8th position halfway between stations 1 and 7. There are two houses that hold devices known as "traps" that launch the targets, one at each corner of the semi-circle. The traps launch the targets to a point 15 feet above ground and 18 feet outside of station 8. One trap launches targets from 10 feet above the ground ("high" house) and the other launches it from 3 feet above ground ("low" house). At stations 1 and 2 the shooter shoots at single targets launched from the high house and then the low house, then shoots a double where the two targets are launched simultaneously. At stations 3, 4, and 5 the shooter shoots at single targets launched from the high house and then the low house. At stations 6 and 7 the shooter shoots at single targets launched from the high house and then the low house, then shoots a double. At station 8 the shooter shoots one high target and one low target. The shooter must re-shoot his first missed target, or if no targets are missed, must shoot his 25th shell at the low house station 8. This 25th shot was once referred to as the shooter's option as he was able to take it where he preferred. Now, to speed up rounds in competition, the shooter must shoot the low 8 twice for a perfect score.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's only the same in the sense that your shooting flying clay targets, that's pretty much where the simularity ends. Skeet is considered to be harder as the targets are crossing in front of you and coming from two different directions, but, you know where they are going too, which makes things a little easier.

In trap the action of the clay is random, as the thower rotates back and forth in the house, and as you don't know where the clay is flying makes things a little harder to pick up the bird. Also in regulation trap, the targets are flying faster than in skeet.

Olimpic trap is a whole nuther ball game, and is a hell of a lot harder.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Their both a lot of fun if you like shooting at moving targets with shotguns. If not, then you probably wouldn't like them at all. ;)

Man was that a smart ass answer or what? :lol: I like to do shoot trap and skeet, as it's only a competion against my self, I don't care how other shooters are doing in the same round. I don't shoot registered trap any more, and when I get out, I just like seeing those clays exploding in a big old puff. And it's good practice for bird hunting.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I don't even know where to go to do it around here. I'd rather shoot my revolvers anyway. :cool:

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
yep, the 16 is gettin up there in price........as everything else is nowadays.....
last 16 shells i boght were winchester #8's as that is all they had for $8.00/box. Bought a couple even though i despise #8's.

thinking about perhaps asking the wife for a case of 16ga in #6's for Christmas.............

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I have a trap thrower mounted on a steel post at my range.
We would shoot every Sunday,Had about 10 regulars and other people stopped in too.We would cook out at my pond shelter for lunch+ bang away all afternoon.
Some guys would get to serious and make it bad for the other shooters.It was meant for fun not for a world cut.
All my C B radio Buddy's would stop in and shoot,people would stop on the road+watch.It was a blast.
I once shot a 21 out of 25 with a 3 1/2" mag 12 gauge Mossberg.I was black+blue for at least 3 weeks.
When i took up a collection for a new electric thrower +everyone stopped coming to shoot.
I would love to get it back up+ running,2000 was the last year we shot.Thats when i got hurt+couldnt walk for 2 years

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I love getting out my chunker & blasting some clays.

I think you'd like it too BH. But don't go to a skeet range unless you want to meet the biggest bunch of gun snob asshats that you've ever seen in one place.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I like to shoot at empty beer bottles that are tossed into the air. :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
In the late summer I usually go out with my thrower and get through a couple boxes of shells, just to make sure I still 'got it.' That's all the shotgun shooting I do anymore really.

I first tried it in high school, and it was the type of shooting that came most naturally. I have tried going to the trap & skeet club here, but the people make it no fun. Asshats. Anymore I get enough time with the shotgun through hunting that I just don't want to pick it up the rest of the year.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I don't even own a shotgun. I really need to remedy that. :|

1 - 17 of 17 Posts