Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 870! Came with a short stock, like a junior or ladies stock, but he threw in this pistol grip which I immediately installed! Love it, love it, love it. I've wanted something like this for a long time. The receiver and tube came from a police issue shotgun, he added the stock and the barrel. So all the colors don't match exactly but I still think it looks badass.

And, no kidding, I was looking for a placed to stash it where dogs wouldn't knock it over. It fits right in the ol' sock drawer!

And he threw in 100 rounds of 9mm defense ammo (more old cop stuff when a nearby county used to use 9mm). And a dozen rounds of buckshot shells, all for $200. He originally said 175 but I felt guilty!

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
fast-shuck a tubefull or two through it without firing...if it's flawless-you got a honey of a deal.....oughta go with you everywhere if it's legal in Va...can you carry loaded shotguns in your passenger space in Va? Can't find my book right now....

one combat tip: chamber empty, trigger pulled, safety on...that way, in a hurry, you don't have to find the slide release to shuck it...and you still have the safety...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sheepdog said:
one combat tip: chamber empty, trigger pulled, safety on...
That's exactly how she's sittin' right now!

It seems to cycle just great. He takes good care of his stuff, but said he's only put abut 15 rounds through this one. It had the pistol grip on it for those 15 rounds and he said it wasn't too bad to shoot.

One thing, do you think I can get a bolt from Hogue for that pistol grip? It's an allen bolt and it has been stripped a little, like someone tried to tighten it with a screwdriver. I'm afraid to get it too tight, because I might not be able to get it off.

But I'm psyched! I don't know the answer about the car, never occurred to me to carry it in the car. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I like it, it looks good and should do the job you want it to do, you could take the existing bolt out and take it and match it up at a good hardware, I think they are stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XLCH said:
I like it, it looks good and should do the job you want it to do, you could take the existing bolt out and take it and match it up at a good hardware, I think they are stainless steel.
I can try, I just didn't know if maybe they were special threads or something. It seems an odd length, too. I'll call Hogue next week, maybe I can get one easily from them.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I’m sure they can help I just wonder about shipping cost. :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I needed a little pin from Marlin one time, gun parts places wanted like $4 for the pin and $7 shipping or whatever. I called Marlin and she just popped one in the mail to me. Hopefully this will be a similar experience!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Came with a short stock, like a junior or ladies stock
meant to be that way.........makes a better fit for shooting when you are wearing the standard bullet bouncer under your uniform shirt or are wearing the tactical bullet bouncer over your shirt....

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
You did good, C&B....

Sheepdog, look at the distance from the back of the forearm stock and the front of the receiver on Eddies 870.......the forearm stock on mine is about 2 - 2 1/2 inchs longer, and actually encompasses the first couple of inches, when pumped back.....that's why the 6 rnd side saddle will not work on mine....didn't realize 870's had differend foreends.....

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
me, either...hmmm

Eddie...put a tape on that gun barrel end to grip end...make sure you're 27" OA and barrel end to where the barrel ends in the receiver must be 18"...Federal rules.. I'd get the removeable grade of Loctite and goop those threads...then snug it up...the stripping may be in the gun not the bolt and a new bolt might strip it more...they're not usually standard length...threads should be, though...auto supplys have loctite red and blue...and know which one you can remove easily with tools....you just want to snug it against vibration for when the tiger roars....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Overall is about 28.5".

And clarify what you mean by where the barrel ends in the receiver. Because where it meets the receiver is only 17.5".

As for stripping, I just meant the head is buggered up so when I put the proper allen wrench on it, it will turn, but if I turn it snug or beyond the allen wrench spins in the head. So I don't want to force it or an allen wrench may no longer get it back out.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
from the head of the shell when it's in the barrel to the end of the barrel must be 18"...or the barrel must be destroyed immediately...you can't even turn it in to a PD-without paperwork from the feds, they can't accept it...and you don't want to even go to the ATF...they can charge you with recieving.....if from end of barrel to head of shell when it's in the barrel isn't 18" or over...get your hacksaw out and dump the pieces in many places....and find a used barrel....only safe way to do it....if you ever use it...you'll face Federal felony charges for being in possession....the boss in the pawn shop bought an 870 pump from a guy once for $50-it had a 14" homecut barrel on it....I took it off and to a dumpster nearby and we logged the gun as without barrel...only safe way...the ATF don't play....

Locktite will snug it up without working on the bolt head...or you can create a slot across it that will take a 5/16 or 3/8 blade screwdriver....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand now, I think.

I chambered a round without closing it, but let the shell rest in position as it would be if chambered. Measured from the end of the barrel to the rear part of the shell and it's a hair over 18". As if, and I'm sure this is the case, the surface that the lip of the shell rests on is exactly 18". Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bountyhunter said:
That's friggin sweet, dude! That's my kind of shotgun. :)
Thanks! Yeah, that really is more your style than mine. It is officially the most badass thing I own.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...found my state law book..."A loaded rifle or shotgun may be carried in a vehicle(Passenger compartment) if the weapon is in plain view...loaded long guns may also be carried in a trunk...a commercial gun case is not considered concealment...County laws regulating loaded long guns have been repealed...no magazines over 20 rounds that are center-fire may be carried loaded in town in many cities...Localities can't be more restrictive...so a 10/22 rifle with a loaded 50-round clip would be OK on the seat beside you...an AR15 with a 30-rounder loaded would not....really reasonable, as things go...so that's all good...

Any concealment of a loaded handgun in a vehicle is illegal unless you have a concealed permit...a traveler with no permit who has a loaded handgun must have it in plain sight in the car....

...also I was wrong on the overall length...on a shotgun you must have 26" overall, not 27 as I posted earlier...found the book`NFA Title 26 Subchapter B 5845A

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
You're legal on the barrel ...just caught your post...good to go...and good to go loaded in your car...in a short zippered case made for a pistol grip shotgun or in the wide open---long as it's in plain view of anyone walking up...Virginia's pretty cool....except for their wimmen...they're hot!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sheepdog said:
You're legal on the barrel ...just caught your post...good to go...and good to go loaded in your car...in a short zippered case made for a pistol grip shotgun or in the wide open---long as it's in plain view of anyone walking up...Virginia's pretty cool....except for their wimmen...they're hot!!!
I want one of those racks like they have in police cars for the shotgun to hold it vertically just right of the center of the car against the dash!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts