1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
That's an interesting look!

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Now we're talking. We have a large Contender collection. Have been shooting them for almost 30 years, now. I shoot our 45-70 on a Super 16 carbine rig. Loads of fun. As long as I stay with Trapdoor loads, recoil is very manageable. The slip on recoil pad helps, too.

Have never tried that stock design, though. How do you like it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the beavertail forearm on your carbine!
My fun gun has stock from Fajen Reinhardt's original design,. Haus of Arms now produces them in a variety of laminate schemes.
It's called a 'push-pull' or big shot furniture. I also use it as a miniature rifle at time with a light recoiling round such as 22 Hornet.
I really got hooked on all the wildcats that the contender can handle.
Thanks,
Jimmy

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really enjoy woodworking for my firearms. Here's a 308 Bellm barrel configurationwith some cherry furniture.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a design that haunted my dreams for years until I whittled it out and bolted it up. I had seen it a decade or so ago and never could forget it's low, English line, as a thumbhole design. Walnut material used.

The optics allow the barrel to shoot better than I can. Groups have been unmeasurable as they appear as one hole.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tx gun,
Definitely worthy of depiction in your avatar
Looks like a nice rendition of a Thompson sub-machine gun... except with a pistol grip.
You build some nice stuff.
How many rounds does that magazine hold?
WoW!!!

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Tx gun,
Looks like a nice rendition of a Thompson sub-machine gun... except with a pistol grip.
WoW!!!
These are stock 10 round 10/22 Ruger mag with a drum or stick epoxy to it . You can buy real 50 or 100 rd drum for 10/22 that fit perfect .

Attachments

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Tx gun,
WoW!!!
Tommy Guns came with different stocks. All had a pistol grip, and there was a removable butt stock. Forearms were horizontal like a rifle, or vertical with finger grooves, similar to the pistol grip. Throw in the option of stick or drum magazines, and you could have a lot of different looks for one gun. A full auto .45ACP 1927 would be an expensive Fun Gun....:-D

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Tommy Guns came with different stocks. All had a pistol grip, and there was a removable butt stock. Forearms were horizontal like a rifle, or vertical with finger grooves, similar to the pistol grip. Throw in the option of stick or drum magazines, and you could have a lot of different looks for one gun. A full auto .45ACP 1927 would be an expensive Fun Gun....:-D
If I Putting a vertical pistol grip without the rear stock ATF said that make my gun illegal . It ok on a rifle not the pistol .

·
Registered
80 Posts
My "FUN GUN" is probably a Rossi model-62 which is a copy of the famous Winchester model-62.

It carries easily in one hand and is quite accurate.

My favorite 22's are lever actions but this little pump is lot of fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fun is a state of mind

Love that pump 22!
Reminds me of the old fairgrounds shootin' gallery.
Here's my latest novelty.
No, it's a vented extension, threaded and pinned, thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
My "FUN GUN" is probably a Rossi model-62 which is a copy of the famous Winchester model-62.

It carries easily in one hand and is quite accurate.

My favorite 22's are lever actions but this little pump is lot of fun.
Nice, some classic fun.

I have a Henry pump but it has the heavy octagon barrel. I would have preferred the shorter round barrel but they no longer offered it.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Love that pump 22!
Reminds me of the old fairgrounds shootin' gallery.
Here's my latest novelty.
No, it's a vented extension, threaded and pinned, thank you.
Looks interesting. North Country Gal is our expert on those. Hope she looks in and sees it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
30 Herrett carbine

Shooter Scott,
I bought a 10" barrel chambered in 30 Herrett off Ebay because it was threaded already.
Picked up a 'fake' can and ventilated it, mounted it, pinned it to comply, and whittled a forearm outta spalted sycamore and the buttstock outta maple.
Total outlay = $ 170 and about 30 hours.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Attachments

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Yes, glad I stopped by, which I do, now and then. Wouldn't want you guys to forget me. :)

Gemihur, those are wonderful Contenders and I do love Contenders. I now collect vintage Contenders, but the Contender has always been my main shooting gun when I get serious about shooting groups. All my personal best offhand groups have been shot with my Contenders.

Here's a Contender with some custom wood that a friend found for me on his travels. The barrel is a 44 mag, but, of course, I shoot this one with a wide variety of barrels. Beautiful as that grip is, though, that deep cut for the palm of my hand at the top of the grip is just plain nasty when shooting the 44 mag, so I now shoot this frame with the milder stuff. Whoever shot this one, likely designed it for shooting something a bit more recoil friendly. This frame now wears a Bullberry 32 H&R mag which is one of my favorite barrels.

picture host site

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
This has been a great post.
Gemhir has created some great stocks and managed to build some great shooters.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I have a Bullberry Contender G2 (if that sounds right) in my safe. It's a .22 Hornet, 18" barrel.
It is stainless steel, and never been used. I will sell it if anyone is interested. I never got into Contenders only because I went in other directions. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

These are lovely guns posted on this thread.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts