Gunner Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing around to see outrageous ammo prices, I couldn't find Gander Outdoors ammo, guns, nothing for shooting. I figured out that they clearanced out all their firearms sections in August and September. Oh, well.

FWIW, online Sportsman's Warehouse is showing $27.99 for my .32ACP, which was 17.99 before this latest shortage. 9mm showing $25-35 a box. If you filter to exclude not in stock, the 750 handgun ammos go to Zero. Rifle ammo goes from 1300 to 12.

Do you think we'll ever be able to walk into a gun place and buy most any ammo we want?

·
Administrator
11,217 Posts
I went over to the Kittery Trading Post yesterday to get some fresh pyrodex pellets for muzzleloader hunting. The last batch I bought was 6 years old. They had what I needed but perused the ammo shelves and it was sparse. They had some 223, some 9MM and only a couple boxes of .40 S&W. I didn't see any 45 ACP and not much other rifle ammo. These were some shotgun shells in 12 and 20 but no .410. Don't think I have ever seen it quite so scarce.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think by now it would be at or past the saturation point. People must be buying utility buildings to make room for more.....:(

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Browsing around to see outrageous ammo prices, I couldn't find Gander Outdoors ammo, guns, nothing for shooting. I figured out that they clearanced out all their firearms sections in August and September. Oh, well.

FWIW, online Sportsman's Warehouse is showing $27.99 for my .32ACP, which was 17.99 before this latest shortage. 9mm showing $25-35 a box. If you filter to exclude not in stock, the 750 handgun ammos go to Zero. Rifle ammo goes from 1300 to 12.

Do you think we'll ever be able to walk into a gun place and buy most any ammo we want?
Was at Sportsman's here in Silverdale last week and they had pretty good stocks but did not check prices.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like they're putting store shelves ahead of online sales. Used to be that their online price was the same as the stores. I would guess they still do that. Bad thing, you can't do ship to store or pick up anymore, last I heard. You have to have it in your hand at a checkout.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This will eventually end. All shortages do. But don't be foolish enough to think people will learn anything from it. They'll go right back to their old ways of ignoring cheap prices, along with plentiful stock, just like they always have. How many times have we gone through this before? At least 3 times that I know of since Obama got elected back in 2008.

And nothing has changed. We went for almost 5 years with a .22 ammo shortage, that started after the Sandy Hook shooting. It finally ended after Trump was elected. Everything, (including .22 ammo), was cheap and plentiful during his entire administration. Sales were everywhere, because all of these distributors thought that Hillary was going to walk into the White House. After she lost, sales were everywhere on most everything. As always, few stocked up.

Then after Biden won when no one thought he could, they stripped the shelves in a matter of weeks. Now the same people who were scratching their asses then, are all crying the blues now. After this finally ends, and things go back to normal, they'll all go right back to scratching their asses once again. And when the next shortage happens, it will be the same thing all over again. People never learn.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Because of the shortages, I bought at every opportunity. Dumb, ended up with more .22LR than I'd ever live to shoot , even IF I still went to my range. I haven't shot a single round in well over a year. It's an outdoor Forest Service range, unattended. I picture it either packed with dangerous newbies, or empty because of the ammo shortage. ??? At any rate, it's a 60 mile round trip, half of it up and down a mountain; my car is getting a little old for that.

Once I get the wife's affairs sorted, I may try a closer indoor pay range. My .22 ammo is 8-10 years old, but I've kept it well in a cabinet in my den. Still looks like new, hopefully will still shoot well, too. I haven't bought any ammo in three years, and that was for my Guardians.

I'm planning on selling my SPs and 10/22 through an LGS; spare parts and holsters go to Numrich. I have no idea what to do with the excess .22 ammo; I could sell half of it and still have plenty. I've got 1500 rounds of .38 I won't have any use for.

·
Banned
7 Posts

Yes i think so.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes. These things don't last forever. They only seem to because people get anxious. This all mainly started with Biden getting elected last November. Add in the big deal the Democrats made out of Covid, and it turned out to be a perfect storm. And as much as the Democrats are trying to keep the whole Covid crisis going, it has petered out. People can't live forever standing on the panic button.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts