Gunner Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've brought this up before at The Other Place. I can't seem to buy a generator. I look at them, research them, have big plans, then I don't do it. I think I don't because I overshoot. I have decided I don't want to deal with a transfer panel and a large generator - I don't have any place to put it. But I do want something small and reliable and portable. Something I can get back and forth from the shed, or bring to a friend's house who needs it or to one of my volunteer events or something.

But in a pinch, it could be used to run a fridge or a couple space heaters or a sump pump.

So, throwing the big Plug Right Into The Electrical Box options out, I feel like I am much, much closer to going ahead and getting one. But I think it's an important tool to own for emergency or survival readiness planning.

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
speaking of well pumps (I forgot about that one), if that's hard wired, would you need some kind of transfer panel just for that to be able to run off a generator? Or might there be an easier solution?

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're making me nervous now!

· Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Terry_P said:
You can backfeed a 220V generator back thru a 220 plug in your house. If you do that kill the main breaker in your house so you don't backfeed out beyond your house and zap one of the lineman trying to repair the lines. You can easily accomplish by adding a 220 plug next to your electrical panel and using a double male 220 extension.
So how is this different than a transfer panel? Probably cheaper to have done. But that's my understanding of the transfer panel, really. Although I've never seen one. I pictured it being a box off to the side of the main box, with a switch inbetween. Power goes off, you flip the switch, plug in the generator and a number of pre-selected breakers can run off the generator. Is that basically it? And Terry's solution is just simpler: add a 220 plug, power goes out, turn the power off and plug the male/male in from the generator, then I guess turn off most of the breakers and turn on just the ones you need to run or can run with the generator? Can it really be that simple?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.