Gunner Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Before I got my 15kw whole house, I had (and still do) a Craftsman 8kw unit. It ran a refrigerator, chest type freezer, a few lights when necessary, and my well pump. If I were you and was not going the whole house route, I would get at least an 8kw. Down here in FL, we have lots of experience with power outages..... :eek:

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
No. All you do is get you some Romex 10-2 with a ground. Wire one end male to fit the generator, and strip the other end, so you can separate the wires, and leave about 3/4 inch stripped on the end of the white and black wires. Then, when you lose power, throw the breaker to the pump, and hook up the Romex in the power box at the pump....then crank up the generator, and it will start pumping. Of course, figure out where you're going to put the generator and don't make it too far from the pump....or the house, for that matter. A good 8kw unit should give you 110 outlets and 220 outlets....I am NOT an electrician, nor do I play one on TV....but that's how I used to do it....now, with the whole house unit, the pump, air conditioner, and everything in the house except the stove and washer & dryer are on generator. The only downfall is the 15kw runs on LP gas....expensive.....so I have to use it judiciously..... :eek:

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Eddie, with a transfer panel, when the power goes off, there is a 15-30 delay, then the switch is automatically kicked over to the generator. When the power comes back on, it automatically switches off the generator and switches back to incomming power. Do yourself a big favor...have it done on a whole house. I saw a gaurdian 15kw unit in Home Depot for $2000...another $1000 to have someone install it. Better still, find an elect. company that sells generators and get a quote from them. Home Depots installers are outrageously high....Should not cost more than $3000 - $4000 tops.....

The problem with what you just described, is that when the power comes back on, some poor lineman that is working on getting you electricity restored a block away, is going to get ZAPPED, or worse, when the feedback comes from your portable.....Not good!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.