Gunner Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting Times...

By Tim Garrett

There’s an old Chinese curse that says, "May you live in Interesting Times." We are certainly in those times now. We have a presidential election that could be disastrous for our 2nd Amendment Rights. We are awaiting a ruling from the Supreme Court that could go either way and could solve nothing at all. We are in the middle of a war that threatens the very existence of Judeo/Christians and our adversaries are very capable of using weapons of mass destruction on our soil. Oil prices and inflation are threatening our economic stability and our immigration policies have us overrun with everything from fine family folks to deadly gangsters.

What to do? Buy what you need now. If you want it and can afford it, buy one and, if possible, buy two. We have seen in the recent past what can happen to prices and availability if another assault weapons ban is passed. Get what you want/need as soon as possible. Do you have enough magazines for the guns you currently own? Are you buying something that takes a mag already in your inventory? There is no such thing as too many magazines. Figure out what the basic load of magazines you would carry in whatever gear you use. Buy at least twice as many. This allows two things: spares in case one of your primary mags quits working and half of you mags can be loaded at any given time. You need ammo to fill your magazines and to practice with. If you haven’t already laid in a decent supply of ammo you are screwed. Ammunition prices are climbing at least as fast as gasoline, and maybe faster. We are in the midst of an old fashioned shooting war and our guys are expending vast amounts of small arms ammo in combat and training. We only have one government facility making small arms ammo right now, Lake City; the rest is coming from commercial manufacturers. The UN is discouraging third world countries from selling their surplus on the U.S. market. China and India are undergoing industrial revolutions and using vast amounts of raw materials like copper, lead, steel, nickel, etc. Ammo is scarce and expensive much as it was during World War II.

Do you carry? You should, get your permit now. If you wait until Al Quadia shoots up a mall or school in your neighborhood you may be either A: too dead to get a license or B: stuck waiting forever to get your application processed. We are the good guys, it behooves us to be legally armed and ready for that day which we pray never comes but train to take care of. Ok, here’s a plan. It may not be a great plan but I like it and I think it will allow you to control your environment in times of social/economic upheaval.

Get a rifle. A rifle gives you distance and distance is your friend. It’s easier to hit your target with a rifle, they are powerful enough to shoot through barriers, stop vehicles etc. I like semi-auto military rifles for their durability, spare parts availability and reliability. If you are on a budget, get an SKS. You don’t need a super mall ninja tactical rifle. Remember the KISS principle? Keep It Simple, Stupid? Iron sights work and don’t have a battery to run down. A white light is however very handy for illuminating targets so that only the right ones get shot. If you don’t have much ammo there is one caliber and rifle that is a great bargain. The Romanian SAR2 AK in 5.45X39mm. This rifle can be had for $400 or less, and ammo is CHEAP!!!!! I bought 1260 rounds at Tulsa for $134!!!!! 30 round mags are $10, slap a surefire G2 light on it ($35) and you are good to go. ARs, FALs, M1As, Sig556s etc. are all good weapons get what your budget allows and be sure to figure in ammo and mag costs so you can practice.

Get a handgun. We use handguns because they are small and portable. Pick something that is powerful enough to get the job done. 9mm is a good minimum caliber, .40 is better and .45 is my preference. A service size handgun is best if you only have one. Get at least six magazines and a good quality belt, holster and mag pouch set. GET YOUR CARRY PERMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who knows what nonsense a liberal government will do when we have a terrorist attack on our soil using small arms and rpgs to create massive casualties? Get your permit now so that you will be legal when the time comes that you feel you need to be armed. Get enough ammo to practice and carry. One of the reasons I like a .45 is the size of the bullet. While I prefer hollow points for carry use, full metal jacket .45 acp works. Ball ammo is more prone to ricochet and over-penetrate. But at least in .45 in is almost a half-inch in diameter and a reputable man stopper. This is important if you can’t get hollow points. 9mm sucks as a man stopper unless you use high velocity hollow points. A 5” Gov’t model, XD, Glock 21, 4” Commander, Taurus 24/7 etc. would make a fine carry gun in .45 or .40. If you can afford more than one handgun, a compact of subcompact using the same ammo and mags as your primary is a good idea.

Get a shotgun. Nothing makes being close better than a good 12 gauge full of buckshot. Inexpensive used Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s are easy to pick up. There are some really inexpensive Chinese riot guns coming in with lots of desirable features at rack bottom prices. Most of these are copies of Ithacas or Remingtons. I like pump shotguns; the sound of you chambering a round is often deterrent enough to send the bad guys running. A barrel length of 18-20 inches is ideal. I prefer the 870 with an extended magazine, sidesaddle ammo carrier and a white light of some sort. Mossbergs are also very serviceable.

Slugs and buckshot are readily available and birdshot is an excellent man stopper inside of a house. Your shotgun is like the artillery at your firebase/home that repels boarders and holds down the family fort if you have to leave others at home alone. Shotguns kick, so learn to use one effectively. Practice your fundamentals with cheap birdshot and shoot enough of the buckshot to know where it patterns at various distances. I’m not a big slug fan. I figure, I’ll use my rifle or .45 if I want accurate single hits on target. I want a shotgun for raw close range stopping power.

Get a cell phone, and emergency supplies. Radio Shack has a cool shortwave radio receiver that has a built in outlet to charge your cell phone. Communications in an emergency are critical and radio is the only one that is guaranteed to be up. Stock up on some water, it will be critical in an emergency. You can start buy reusing 2 liter soft drink bottles. Get some canned foods when they are on sale. Make sure it’s stuff that you and your family will (and preferably like) to eat. Stock up on some comfort foods that have a long shelf life. Get a generator and stock up on some gasoline. Get a power converter so you can use your car as a generator. Buy some durable clothes in earth tones. You don’t want to look like a super ninja but you also don’t want to stand out. Keep emergency supplies in your vehicles and pay attention to current events and your surroundings. Have a plan for your family in case something goes awry. Get some surefire type of flashlights. The new LED type seems best and has a long battery life. Buy lots of batteries. They are cheap in bulk online or at gun shows. These lights are lifesavers when you need illumination. Keep a 3-month supply of your prescription meds on hand.

Ammo: buy all you can afford. In times of social/economic upheaval (LA riots, Katrina, etc) sometimes liberals use these circumstances to justify things like bans on gun or ammunition sales. If you have no ammo on hand your guns are worthless. Buy what you can, when you can.

This article isn’t meant to frighten or upset anyone. The evening news is enough to do that. My friends and family are very dear to me and I intend to be able to control my environment and provide as much safety and security for me and mine as possible. If you read your Federalist Papers, you will find that the militia is defined as very man capable of bearing arms between the ages of 15 and 65. Women’s lib forces us to include the fairer sex in this business now. For those that think the unorganized militia is not needed, let me remind them of the last time that they were called up. Our nation was at war with our National Guard, Reserve and Regular Forces spread thin fighting for our country’s survival (sound familiar?). The Governor of Oregon called out the unorganized militia because of massive forest fires thought to be started by fifth columnists and air attacks from explosive balloons. The Army was to issue small arms to the militia but didn’t have sufficient quantities. In the end it was the Militia with their privately owned firearms that got the job done. This was during World War II. On the East Coast, local militias were formed and organized for the purpose of guarding the coast from U-boats sinking ships and landing agents. That was in our parents’ or grandparents’ lifetime. Take a cue from the boy scouts and be prepared for whatever nature or man has to throw at you.

Watch Jericho and think, “What if?”

Tim Garrett is a Concealed Handgun Licensed Instructor in Arkansas and is an avid gun historian and collector. If you have an Arkansas Concealed Handgun License, chances are Tim Garrett was your instructor. Tim breaks down history and physics of weaponry in an easy-to-understand and entertaining way. As a gun historian and collector, Tim not only brings insight into the history of guns, but their impact on our society.

·
Administrator
11,367 Posts
Essentially what we have all been saying for several months.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One other step in being ready is get plenty of practice. If you can't hit what you are aiming at, you might as well have a BB Gun. I like lever guns, and usually have one with me anytime I'm traveling or in the woods. I reload and keep a quanity of ammo where I can find it. When you are a good shot, even a 22 rifle can be deadly. If you are armed with a rifle that shoots 357 mag ammo, you should be able to hit a small target 100 yards away. If you carry a 357 Mag revolver both guns can shoot the same ammo. Whatever you do, don't depend on a 380, 32 or other 'light weight' handgun.

NR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts