Gunner Forum banner

Getting the PBR back Saturday

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  USMC6094 
#1 ·
I took my FN PBR to a local gun shop/smith to be dropped into a McMillan A5 I picked up.
Ill post pictures after I get her back home, cant wait to get her home... :mrgreen:

#6 ·
To my own detriment, there wont be pictures. Im not wasting the space on my cameras disc, or the time to post.
I wont post the name of the shop, bit needless to say, I AM NOT HAPPY with the end result.
Im sure youre asking whats wrong with the end result??
Well, the only sections of the rifle bedded were the receivers tang, then the forward part of the receiver ALL the way to the end of the barrel channel, completely cancelling out the free floating of the barrel....

#13 ·
Well I let my discontent subside and I looked over the barrel channel made a few measurements and marked the barrel channel just ahead of where the chambers shoulder area is and made the decision to route the area out, then dress it with medium and fine finishing sand paper, then seal it with something that I havent yet decided........

#15 ·
I feel your pain, USMC.

Have you shot the rifle, yet? I'd at least do that and see what the bedding job did or did not accomplish. Bedding a stock is a tricky thing and, contrary to what some will preach, free floating a barrel is not ALWAYS the best option.

Anyway, again, sorry for your disappointment. Keep us updated.

#17 ·
The stock had pronounced relief for fee floating the barrel, not to be filled with bedding compound. There was no space for it to flex or do any of the things a barrel does when a shot is fired, hell, considering the clout of the shop I took it to, I didnt think I had to draw them a picture.....I told them to bed the receiver and trigge housing, not the barrel. There was no space between the barrel and the stock, a dollar bill Or a thermal paper store receipt would pass between the two.......
Sorry to sound pi$$¥ but if I know what needed bedded and the custom gun/smith didnt, theres a real problembherr

#18 · (Edited)
Who order the stock and who did the bedding . Mc Millan uses a CNC machine for bedding the action and custom barrel channel to your spec . If Mc Millan screw up they will make it right . If your gunsmith screw up Mc Millan can recut it to your spec . Mc Millan stocks are drop in fiberglass and fiberglass is the best next to Alum stocks . I like the gap where a business card will slide under barrel .

#19 ·
I got the stock second hand, all it needed was the trigger guard area routed and the receiver bedded to the stock, but alas I will never go to said gun shop for anything other than basic, and I mean basic work.

I did luck into a place selling the McMillan A4 with FN's new magazine system for 399 and already with the basic inletting for my rifle already done.

#21 · (Edited)
It wasn't Millers in JVille that you took it to was it?
I have an 8MM that I need a bit of work done.

I have a new threaded barrel for my M700SPS-TAC.
Same barrel just threaded, like the 700 SPS TAC AAC Barrel is what it is.

I'm thinking about maybe installing it myself.

Same exact barrel but, threaded. What do you think? Easy swap?

#22 ·
Got her clothes this afternoon.

No, it was a veteran owned shop at the top of the hill on 24...........

Let me know your results with the 700 and the shop youre taking it to......if you approve of thier work, Ill give them a look....

Pics will be posted this weekend.....

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.