Gunner Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a 4" GP and then maybe switching the barrel out on my 6". I toyed with the 4" tonight and the barrel length is great. The gun balances so much better. Can I buy a barrel for it and then just swap it out? If I can't what is the easiest way to cut it? Is it possible to cut it at the end that attaches? I've never removed a barrel and I'm not sure what the scoop is.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I am pretty sure Ruger wont sell you the barrel without sending them the gun. They are kind of funny about selling some parts. I have seen some Ruger guns with Smith barrels and some with Colt Python barrels! So, that may be an option, but don't quote me on that. They may have to be re-threaded to work, I don't know. To cut the end that attaches you would have to have a way to re-do the barrel shank and re-thread and re-chamber it, a pretty involved, costly proposition. Honestly, it truly would probably be cheaper in the long run to trade the 6 inch for a 4 inch than to have a gunsmith shorten the barrel. I toyed with the idea of shortening a 7 1/2 Redhawk I used to own to 4 inches (before Ruger came out with the 4 inch) but most places wanted about $150-$200 to do this. I said screw that and just sold the gun. When Ruger came out with the 4 incher I had to have one.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I would think the gun smith costs might hurt a bit. Have you considered just trading in the six inch for another 4" as that would probably be the easiest, less expensive, and quickest route to go?.

Cutting the barrel off at the fame end would mean a lot of machining and re-threading the barrel so i think cost prohibitive. Cutting it off at the muzzle end means loosing the front sight insert change-out capability and going to a pinned front sight. Still gonna cost and think you would come out better on trading.

If you just plain don't want to trade, i'd call ruger and ask them what they would charge to swap barrels------you know it will be done right with a bit of a guarantee at least.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess cutting it is out of the question then. I'll have to look into swapping it out or trading it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts