Gunner Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was not much news coverage of my friends incident up on his place in Marias pass area here in Montana. The proper agencies investigated and found him to have defended himself against this 400 lbs sow grizzly with 2 cubs.

Roy was up on the edge of his property tending his fence line, when out of the brush she was a coming straight at him with her ears back. Roy drew and put 3 rounds of 230-gr FMJ in her neck shoulder area, then took off away from the trail about 5 yards. Roy said the bear was still coming at him, and he fired 3 more rounds into her frontal area. And again took off another 5 yards off in another direction. The sow continued to follow coming at him, so Roy fired 3 more rounds into her frontal area and she dropped taking a dirt nap.

Roy called to report the incident, and they came out and brought a metal detector to locate spent extracted shell casings. Roy was found acting within his right to protect himself against the grizzly bear attack. But they said, they wished he would have used Counter Assault Bear Spray. Roy did not have any, so they gave him a can, plus some 12 ga cracker shells, and some other 12 ga shells will rubber bullets in them.

Roy came into town and purchased a Glock 20 10mm auto now.

I'm glad Roy is okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,994 Posts
The bear wasn't deterred by .45s and they want him to try pepper spray and noisemakers?? Bite me!!

The 10mm sounds like a better answer to that problem, more power and penetration. Much as I love it, the .45 ACP just doesn't have the penetration for big bear.

I think he's lucky to be alive, he kept a cool head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,095 Posts
I think I'd have prefered a 44 mag or larger! 454 maybe or a 500! The 45 did do the job though although I bet the pucker facter was high!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
44s Rock said:
I think I'd have prefered a 44 mag or larger! 454 maybe or a 500! The 45 did do the job though although I bet the pucker facter was high!!
Yes, those calibers are great, but many fail to be able to return fire accuratly with the 454, 500 and such. I prefer the fact that I have 15 rounds of 200-gr WNFP bullets at 1300 fps rather than a 44 magnum with 6 rounds at 1250 fps. The wide flat nose of a 44 and the wide flat nose of a 10mm is marginal, so I have no problem taking the 10mm Auto 200-gr WFN over the 44 magnum.

Test have proven that the 10mm Auto is just as leathal as the ones you have mentioned, and this is why the Seris Artic Team from Denmark is issued the 10mm Auto as their sidearm form Polar bears.

But we have gotten away from the original part of this post here, it was about the .45 Auto being used to kill a grizzly bear. Roy told me that if he had been wearing his 1911 that only holds 7 +1 rounds he would have been in trouble. He was very glad he had his Glock 21 that holds 13 +1
 

·
Site Founder
Joined
·
25,453 Posts
Machinist said:
The bear wasn't deterred by .45s and they want him to try pepper spray and noisemakers?? Bite me!!

That's because the retards care more about the bears lives than ours. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
no doubt the 10mm has more punch.......

just courious, what load was roy using? fmj round nose?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
deputy125 said:
no doubt the 10mm has more punch.......

just courious, what load was roy using? fmj round nose?
I was wondering about that myself. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,098 Posts
...bear dead...Roy not...that works for me....45 did the job...just not a one shot kill...and why did he only cover 5 yards...I can run farther than that!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
Glad your friend made it. Sounds like he has a cool head on his shoulders. That had to be the most exciting and terrifying couple of moments of his life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,098 Posts
...9, Mac...I agree with 44s Rock....44 Mag would have been more decisive...I'd favor a 12 ga. and slugs or a .45.70---or Puff...whichever I could grab...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,936 Posts
What Deputy said! :? :lol:


I think I would have preferred a sturdy .44 Magnum ala a Super Redhawk or Raging Bull and these:

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp



GARRETT'S 44 MAG HAMMERHEAD AMMO
$100 / 50 CTGS

330-GR SUPER-HARD-CAST GC LONG-HAMMERHEAD AT 1400-FPS

THIS 44 MAGNUM AMMO IS RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN RUGER AND DAN WESSON DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS, AS WELL AS THE TAURUS RAGING BULL. IT IS ALSO RECOMMENDED FOR THE GARY REEDER 5-SHOT ULTIMATE 44 MAGNUM, AND THE JOHN GALLAGHER CUSTOM LONG-CYLINDER RUGER SINGLE-ACTIONS. THIS AMMO SHOULD BE FIRED ONLY IN THOSE RECOMMENDED REVOLVERS! THIS AMMO IS BOTH TOO LONG AND GENERATES TOO MUCH CHAMBER PRESSURE FOR SAFE USE IN S&W AND RUGER SUPER BLACKHAWK REVOLVERS. IT IS ALSO TOO LONG FOR USE IN THE FREEDOM ARMS REVOLVER.

ENERGY: 1440 FT/LBS; TAYLOR KNOCKOUT VALUE: 28; MEPLAT: .320"; CHAMBER PRESSURE: 43,500-CUP; SECTIONAL DENSITY: .255; TRAJECTORY: +2" @ 50-YDS; ZERO @ 100-YDS; -7" @ 150-YDS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,150 Posts
if i ever get up yonder, it will be a 12 ga with slugs........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,994 Posts
Sheepdog, I was just quoting that bit to show the type of ammo used. As much as I like the .45 as a fighting cartridge I would not feel safe in bear country with it. I would prefer something with more penetration, even a .357 Magnum with proper loads and better a .44 Spec or Magnum. A 10mm would be much better than a .45 for that.

I certainly agree about the .45-70.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,792 Posts
That story sounds fishy to me. (Maybe I should send it to the whitehouse). I'm not arguing he killed the bear just he danced around with it. A grizzley can cover 40 yards in 3 seconds in an all out charge. I suspect there was a little reconstruction going on. I won't argue which is better to carry as I'm guessing he wished he had a 460 Weatherby Mag when the thing busted out of the woods after him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,095 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
What Deputy said! :? :lol:


I think I would have preferred a sturdy .44 Magnum ala a Super Redhawk or Raging Bull and these:

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp



GARRETT'S 44 MAG HAMMERHEAD AMMO
$100 / 50 CTGS

330-GR SUPER-HARD-CAST GC LONG-HAMMERHEAD AT 1400-FPS

THIS 44 MAGNUM AMMO IS RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN RUGER AND DAN WESSON DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS, AS WELL AS THE TAURUS RAGING BULL. IT IS ALSO RECOMMENDED FOR THE GARY REEDER 5-SHOT ULTIMATE 44 MAGNUM, AND THE JOHN GALLAGHER CUSTOM LONG-CYLINDER RUGER SINGLE-ACTIONS. THIS AMMO SHOULD BE FIRED ONLY IN THOSE RECOMMENDED REVOLVERS! THIS AMMO IS BOTH TOO LONG AND GENERATES TOO MUCH CHAMBER PRESSURE FOR SAFE USE IN S&W AND RUGER SUPER BLACKHAWK REVOLVERS. IT IS ALSO TOO LONG FOR USE IN THE FREEDOM ARMS REVOLVER.

ENERGY: 1440 FT/LBS; TAYLOR KNOCKOUT VALUE: 28; MEPLAT: .320"; CHAMBER PRESSURE: 43,500-CUP; SECTIONAL DENSITY: .255; TRAJECTORY: +2" @ 50-YDS; ZERO @ 100-YDS; -7" @ 150-YDS
I shoot the [email protected] in my 629s but really NOT fun in the 3" Tail Boss. I shoot the [email protected] in my 45/70. Good stuff for anything in North America!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand what some of you prefer, but Roy was not carrying nor wanted to carry a .44 magnum etc. He was carrying a .45 acp and it took 9 rounds of 230 gr FMJ to kill the grizzly bear sow. Now it was after, he came into town and purchased a good 10mm auto.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top