Gunner Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
He got the job done with the 45, if there is a next time the 10mm will be better! Hopefully there won't be a next time!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
tn gun runner said:
Never take a knife to a gun fight or carry a 45 ACP in bear country .

Now this is what I told a couple of US Forestry LEO's that one a K-9 Cop carries a Sig 45. ACP and her partner carries a Sig in .40 S&W. She asked me what I carried while out in the woods, I told her a Glock 20SF in 10mm with 200-gr WFN bullets at 1300 fps.

She asked, why do you like the 10mm auto?

Well it is endorced my many Alaskan LEO's as great bear defense. It is carried by the Sirius Artic Patrol from Denmark as their issued sidearm for Polar bears (and has worked on several). As I explained to her, the proof is in the pudding, and I personally would not carry a .45 ACP nor a .40 S&W in the woods for an animal sidearm.

She said, well that is why we also have 12 ga shotguns in our vehicles as well. :D

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
She said, well that is why we also have 12 ga shotguns in our vehicles as well. :D[/quote]

So what is she going to use while she is trying to get back to her vehicle, pepper sryay? Hope it isn't far!!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
For the reloader with a .45acp, 250-260gr hardcast lswc's at about 900fps are an option. Not as good as a 10mm, but quite a bit more oomph than factory ball ammo. Can be tough on the gun, but they do work in my kimber custom compact and p345.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Terry P, if you would like Roy's phone number, and that of the USWL LEO's that investigated this out of Great Falls, Mt I can provide all that information to you. I have known Roy for quite sometime, and he is a man of his word. I spoke with the US Forestry LEO's that work out of the same building I do, they confirmed Roy's version of this encounter with the bear. And BTW a grizzly bear on a full charge can cover 100 ft in 3 seconds, yes that is fast, but Roy's encounter was fast and furious.

We don't always get the chance to read a text book account, but I guess it would have been better if Roy had someone with him to video tape his chance encounter with this bear.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...if it's him or me...I'd give him hell with my fingernail clippers...right down to the end....a lot of times, it depends on how much you want to live...I've read some horrible stories of men surviving "impossible" things...

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
I have a series of books called "Alaska Bear Tales" and several others, used to read them to the kids by the camp fire, I have a very healthy respect for any bear and keep my distance. Oh, and carry my 45/70 when in bear country.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.