Gunner Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a while I check Davidsons for various guns. They have been out of all the guns I own for over a year. I noticed the prices. I bought all my Rugers between 2008-15, and they are up a lot since then.
List on my stainless Bearcats is $829 !! $245 more than 2011 list of $584 and I paid $440. The SPs list around $900 now, $720 in 2015 and I paid $575. The 10/22 DSP is $500 now, 2008 list $360 and I paid $250. One FWIW, my Guardians list the same now as two years ago when I got 'em, $409. I paid $340.

Street price on the Bearcats is pushing $700. As much as I like 'em, I don't think they are worth that. A stainless convertible Single-Six lists only $10 more.

· Administrator
12,086 Posts
My investments are stocks, bonds and preferred's. Before and after (with 401K monies) we retired in 2003 I invested in quality corporate bonds that were yielding 7% or better and a maturity date of 25-30 years all in my IRA brokerage account. All the experts said I was nuts, well nuts to them because I'm still making 7% for at least the next 6 years.

As to guns I don't know enough about them to put investment money in them.

· Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not even sure how IRAs work. To me, they are just money. I do have a 457 from work, similar to a 401, where you have a choice of about 30 funds to invest. Each has a graph showing it's weekly and monthly price. Some are really obvious bad choices, with graphs like either a roller coaster or a ski slope. You get 1, 3, and 5 year performance numbers.
I found three that were pretty consistent with a steady upswing, and minor dips. I've stuck with those, except for one switch a year ago. I review the whole list about once a month. I looked yesterday, and the account is up 20% in the last 30 days. Unusually good, it's normally around 6-9 %. The balance has nearly doubled in past three years. I can live with that.

· Administrator
12,086 Posts
IRA's are an individual account not part of a larger plan, a 401K is an individual account in a company plan. I believe with your 457 plan you put after tax money into it rather than getting a tax advantage as you invest. The rules are extensive but the short version is an IRA can be deductible when you put the monies in or it may be after tax and hence not deductible. A 401K is pre-tax meaning you don't pay tax on it until you withdraw from it. You can roll a 401K into an IRA but can't go the other way. At age 70 1/2 people have to start taking minimum distributions based on life expectancy. With non-qualified plans like your 457 you may not have to start at 70 1/2 and I suspect you don't pay tax when you withdraw from it so it would be to your advantage to let it ride if you can and let it grow tax free. Don't listen to me however as I've been retired for over 18 years.

· Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was surprised that I didn't have to roll the 457 when I left work. As best I know, I can't contribute to it now, just withdraw . For now, I'm just letting all the money sit until everything else is caught up. I've got a year's pay in checking, and SS is 3/4 of what I made. I can likely live okay on just that. If not, I'll start taking monthly disbursement from the largest IRA. All I have to cover is utilities, taxes, and insurance. Food and gas.
I filled my gas yesterday, first time in three weeks. Took a whopping 4.2 gallons. It was $3.08; I was expecting worse.

· Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If I follow my usual family tree, I probably won't make it much past seventy, if that far. With ten year's pay in IRAs, plus SS, money should be my least worry.
House and cars are paid for, roof and heat pump are less than five years old. Water heater is 8 years old, fridge is 12. But I've got a chest freezer that my in-laws bought in late Eighties that still works fine; even has the original light bulb ! Washer / dryer are at least 15, no problems.
I worry about too much yard work, and getting a better car. I could stand new carpet, kitchen vinyl and two ceilings painted, but they're good enough.

· Registered
32 Posts
Guns might be a good investment, but while you're waiting for them to appreciate you are earning nothing. And an investment is only really an investment if you are willing to sell. For many, guns are things that they buy and hold, literally, and rarely if ever sell. Add to this the reality that for many gun owners it will be someone else selling those guns after the death of the owner. Maybe if your heir or heirs is gun savvy or at least intent on getting the maximum return for the guns it will have become a good investment. But for someone like me, whose wife will likely survive my passing, and who hates guns, I would guess that she would haul my small collection to the nearest gun shop and take whatever lowball offer the shop makes to her. I actually keep a listing of my guns, showing what I paid for them and what I estimate they are worth currently, and update those estimates every year or so, but I have little faith that my wife would take the time and effort to get a good deal. Her goal would be just to get the guns off her hands as quickly as she could. So I never think of a gun as an investment, just an expense for my pleasure and personal protection.

· Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They really aren't a good investment, it just surprised me how much prices had gone up. I could at least get what I paid for them and break even, at a reasonable LGS. Now a young guy could buy a few, set them back until retirement, and do okay.

· Administrator
12,086 Posts
If a young guy has enough to invest in firearms, then he has enough to probably max out his 401K. If he does that at a young age and puts money in growth and keeps it up each year, then he will live well in retirement.

· Registered
5 Posts
Once in a while I check Davidsons for various guns. They have been out of all the guns I own for over a year. I noticed the prices. I bought all my Rugers between 2008-15, and they are up a lot since then.
List on my stainless Bearcats is $829 !! $245 more than 2011 list of $584 and I paid $440. The SPs list around $900 now, $720 in 2015 and I paid $575. The 10/22 DSP is $500 now, 2008 list $360 and I paid $250. One FWIW, my Guardians list the same now as two years ago when I got 'em, $409. I paid $340.

Street price on the Bearcats is pushing $700. As much as I like 'em, I don't think they are worth that. A stainless convertible Single-Six lists only $10 more.
Really.

· Registered
5 Posts

Really.
Sounds like you have a handle on what your expenses will be. Have a little emergency money set aside and a little fun money as well.
Yes, that actually sounds great.

· Registered
5 Posts
If I follow my usual family tree, I probably won't make it much past seventy, if that far. With ten year's pay in IRAs, plus SS, money should be my least worry.
House and cars are paid for, roof and heat pump are less than five years old. Water heater is 8 years old, fridge is 12. But I've got a chest freezer that my in-laws bought in late Eighties that still works fine; even has the original light bulb ! Washer / dryer are at least 15, no problems.
I worry about too much yard work, and getting a better car. I could stand new carpet, kitchen vinyl and two ceilings painted, but they're good enough.
Ohhh

· Registered
2 Posts
Rolex watches guaranteed money maker, but guns are hit and miss. anything worth money is generally old and the cost to aquire it now means the up potential is limited. The only gun i've seen that has dramatically increased is the HK P7 M8 and M13. I bought mine new in 1990 for $1000 and now you can't touch one for under $3000. I turned down an offer of $4800 for mine with the box and papers last week. and the reason is I love the gun and if I sell it i'll never be able to get another without paying the insane price currently seen. un fired examples going for $9-10,000. its touted as the worlds most expensive off the shelf production used
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

pistol in history

1 - 14 of 14 Posts